Which RAM conversion and why?

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Which RAM conversion and why?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Some of you know that I’ve been considering moving up to a 340. With the potential ECI cylinder AD, what are the members opinions of the various RAM conversions ie: IV, VI, VII specifically considering the increased HP, longevity, and cylinder issues.

Thanks!

I have a 340 RAM VII. I went to visit RAM about 2 months ago and took the tour.

I was talking about the same your are doing now with the guys at RAM. They told me that RAM VII is the best they have.

So, why people use IV or VI? Their answer was: MONEY.

But, you should call them and ask them directly.

As a rule of thumb, I like higher power ratings. It means the engine is designed to support it somehow, and was certified to have enough cooling and detonation resistance to allow that power. You can always pull power back, but it’s really hard to push the throttles beyond full – we don’t have APR like some turbines. So for that reason, I’d go for a RAM VII. Although Tony has said that many RAM VIIs have a slight vibration in cruise that doesn’t go away, which is a consideration.

quote JBurnsIII1:

Some of you know that I’ve been considering moving up to a 340. With the potential ECI cylinder AD, what are the members opinions of the various RAM conversions ie: IV, VI, VII specifically considering the increased HP, longevity, and cylinder issues.

Thanks!

I’d get the RAM conversion that turns a 340 into a 421! ;->

Robert

quote RCJOHNSON:

I’d get the RAM conversion that turns a 340 into a 421! ;->

Robert

A 340 with 421 engines and wet wings to remove the tips. Now that would be a screamer!

Gerald T. Alves
    Participant

I owned a Ram VII s/n 848 N6219C and loved it. Flew it for 500 hours vibration free, it was a great plane. The Ram VII has a whole new induction system that has better cooling and performance. The VII also has a bigger turbo charger and you can maintain Max take off Power to 25,000 feet.
      Get a VII if you can It’s the best of the series. Jerry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.