Weight & Balance on iPad

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Operational Issues Weight & Balance on iPad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Has anyone created an iPad weight & balance program for 414A?

You might look at the FlightPlan, Pilot’s Toolbox app. Developed by Jeff Cardillo. It has a W&B section that allows you to “build” a profile for your airplane’s empty wt., configuration, fuel, etc. Re-enter passenger, fuel and baggage wts. for a flight and it’ll show you a graphical limits chart. I’ve got profiles for my 310… 2, 4 and 6-seat, and the Cherokee my wife and I rent. Works for me.

I use one called “Aviation W&B Calculator”. It does have a template done for a “414 Ram VI”. The templates I think are submitted by users of the app.

I have a 340 and there was one for a 340A w/VG’S that fit mine well. It was easy to modify it to match my plane. But, now after using it for a few months, I can see it would be easy to build one from scratch too.

It was a bit confusing at first but it is easy to use now. I think it is built for charter operators as it saves and/or sends a copy of each W&B worksheet.

It is one of 3 app’s for W&B that I have, but the one I have been using now.

Though I have not used the FlightPlan.com product, pilots who do really like it.

Jim

I have created one for my 414A RAM VII. It’s a pretty sophisticated spreadsheet that includes a graph as well as “alarms” for any weight that exceeds a limit such as zero fuel, landing, etc. It also has a lookup table so it will calculate the exact ARM for any fuel load based upon the chart in the POH. It does however, require the app “Numbers” to run on the iPad or “Excel” if you want to run it on a PC. If you or any other member is interested, I’d be glad to post it.
    Pete

I also use Aviation W&B and have found it to be very convenient and easy to use. Below is an example of the type of record it generates and you’ll know immediately if your loading is out of range – all the numbers turn red. I also used an Excel sheet before, but for me this is the type of app that makes having an iPad great for flying. Setting it up is not very difficult either.

Attachments:

A friend of mine creatwd “WnB Pro”, a program that I know is on iPhone and I think iPad also. Works very well, according to all my friends who use it. I don’t have an iPhone, so I don’t use it.

AeroBalance is the way to go. I tried out the others mentioned previously int this thread and they did ok, but AeroBalance had a lot of features, ability to easily add/subtract passengers with a simple check mark, factored in planned fuel burns and weight (including ZFW), etc. Not to mention it has a database that downloads the serial number and specific information to your aircraft when it is connected online and if you needed to, you can e-mail the W&B reports to a flight department or whatever.

quote ZARMSTRONG:

AeroBalance is the way to go.

I just tried AeroBalance and I have to agree. Aviation W&B does about the same as AeroBalance, but AeroBalance allows you to add fuel, baggage or passenger stations as needed and to rename all stations which is great for adding wing locker fuel.

I was unable to download my aircraft data, but setup took me 5 minutes.

Thanks for the tip – I believe I’m switching!

Agree on Aerobalance.

I found this on another forum:

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/anyone-know-what-happened-to-aerobalance.213551/

Short answer appears to be that AeroBalance was incorporated into ForeFlight in 2014.

ddivinia1
    Participant

I use the weight and balance built into foreflight. If you don’t find a template you an make work or have a hard time figuring it out – contact foreflight and they usually have some working templates you can adjust for your plane.

D.

quote PVANHELDEN:

I have created one for my 414A RAM VII. It’s a pretty sophisticated spreadsheet that includes a graph as well as “alarms” for any weight that exceeds a limit such as zero fuel, landing, etc. It also has a lookup table so it will calculate the exact ARM for any fuel load based upon the chart in the POH. It does however, require the app “Numbers” to run on the iPad or “Excel” if you want to run it on a PC. If you or any other member is interested, I’d be glad to post it.
      Pete

Pete, I’ve done similar for my 414A RAM IV – not pretty, but it works. Would be interested to see how you tackled it. Could you please post yours. Thanks, John.

Check out this video I created using Foreflight to calculate the weight and balance in my Twin Commander. It actually works pretty well and is easy to setup. If you don’t use Foreflight then that might be a problem. I use Aviation weight and balance app as well and it works really well too. I like doing it in foreflight better just because its one app but both work well.

Enjoy

Glenn

John,
      Attached is the spreadsheet I use. I used an automatic lookup table for the fuel quantity so it exactly matches the POH. I set different alarms for values that exceed limits including the use of cell colors. Once you set up your airplane on the “data” tab, you will only need to use “chart” tab. I’m happy to answer any questions you have.
      Pete

Attachments:

Thanks Pete. Will give it a whirl. Have attached a screenshot from the version I made in excel running in Quick Office on my iPad.I have the lookup table as well. Never got around to the graph bit so looking forward to trying yours. Everything in my version is input in KG and LTRs but the final outputs are in LBS with CoG in inches (the joys of flying US aircraft in metric countries). I’ve deliberately overloaded in this example to show some of the warnings. Also warns for overloading baggage bays. Regards, John

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.