Weather Radar

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Cessna 303 Topics Weather Radar

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hiya all,

On my last flight back from Norwich to Zürich, the weather radar indicator failed. It’s a Collins IND-200A, so something of an old exotic beast, and I have been unable to find a replacement. There are 2 on eBay, but they are being sold “as removed” without any Guarantee – not really an option. Both units look really battered. My Avionics guys are telling me it’s going to be difficult, if not impossible, to find a useable replacement unit.

So now I’m looking into alternatives, and running in to a problem that will be familiar to EASA registered T303 operators: I need to find a solution that is EASA-certified for installation in a T303. It’s not looking good, and the costs of a new certification are apparently prohibitive. Any ideas?

Thanks very much for any input.

Yours,

Adam

Adam,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your radar issue. You might get a few more views if you post the question in the “Avionics” section on here.

Regarding a used unit, are there any options for repair of your current unit?

Thanks 🙂

Apparently it’s the CRT in the display unit that would have to be replaced, and our avionics shop tells us it will not be possible to get a replacement part. For the more common Bendix/King units maybe, but this is a rare Collins IND-200A, so no chance. It’s a shame, because it was a good radar while it worked.

Now we are either looking at putting in an Avidyne EX500 MFD as a display (which is the only one that works with the Collins 200A radar), or putting in a new Radar, and using the GNS-530 as a display. I’m leaning towards the MFD – will have to think about it.

I put the query in here because I thought it would be good to know what other 303 operators have installed. I’ll cross-post 😳 to the Avionics section in a couple of days if I don’t get many replies.

See ya,

Adam

rtowe
    Participant

We have the EX-600 with the Bendix-King RDR-160 and it is outstanding…If you are going to buy a used EX-500, you need to make sure you can get it with the correct interface card that will be needed to work with the Collins Radar or you will have to contact Avidyne and send it to them to have the interface card installed (about $2-3K US), that’s “if” they will install it in a used EX-500…They will probably push you towards a new EX-600 which is far superior to the EX-500 as we upgraded ours from the EX-500 to the EX-600…The Garmin GNS-530 will not display radar but maybe you were referring to the Garmin MX-20 or GMX-200 MFD? This MFD has even less capabilities to interface and I don’t think it has the Collins capability but, you might want to check to be sure…Good Luck and may the force be with you! 😆

quote ACrowther1:

Hiya all,

On my last flight back from Norwich to Zürich, the weather radar indicator failed. It’s a Collins IND-200A, so something of an old exotic beast, and I have been unable to find a replacement. There are 2 on eBay, but they are being sold “as removed” without any Guarantee – not really an option. Both units look really battered. My Avionics guys are telling me it’s going to be difficult, if not impossible, to find a useable replacement unit.

So now I’m looking into alternatives, and running in to a problem that will be familiar to EASA registered T303 operators: I need to find a solution that is EASA-certified for installation in a T303. It’s not looking good, and the costs of a new certification are apparently prohibitive. Any ideas?

Yours,

Adam

Adam I have a factory new EX600 that we definitely can get to work with your Radar. it is apparently EASA approved under an AML:
      http://www.avidyne.com/news/press.asp?release=282

quote RZIEGLER:

quote ACrowther1:

Hiya all,

Yours,

Adam

Adam I have a factory new EX600 that we definitely can get to work with your Radar. it is apparently EASA approved under an AML:
      http://www.avidyne.com/news/press.asp?release=282

T303 is covered 😀
      http://www.handbook.aero/hb_news_story.html?release=18725

Thanks for your replies.

You’re right, the GNS-530 can’t display radar – my bad. Bummer. It means we really do need a new display unit. The EX500 is not available new any more, and as you rightly mentioned, Avidyne is probably not going to like modifying a second hand EX500 for us.

The EX600 is too big for our panel unfortunately. :-/ Here’s a picture:
      http://www.303flyers.ch/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1479
      The EX500 was exactly the right size to replace the old Collins and Benix/King radar units, but they made the EX600 a bit taller, which breaks it as a slide-in replacement. I can understand wanting to improve the product, but they broke the use-case for us.

Our current plan is a reconditioned Bendix/King RDR 2000, with a reconditioned MFD. Our avionics guys say they can get these at affordable prices from other conversions. Lets see – the thought has me salivating. Right now I am canvassing the internet for a replacement Collins indicator. If I can find one that works, it will take the pressure off for finding an immediate solution, and then I can evaluate my alternatives properly.

There is one on ebay that is guaranteed to work for only $180 or best offer. That’s worth a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collins-IND-200A-Radar-Indicator-622-4023-001-/321404335928?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item4ad530f738&vxp=mtr

I can help you out. Ill be in my shop tomorrow and will see what I have.

rtowe
      Participant
        quote ACrowther1:

Thanks for your replies.

You’re right, the GNS-530 can’t display radar – my bad. Bummer. It means we really do need a new display unit. The EX500 is not available new any more, and as you rightly mentioned, Avidyne is probably not going to like modifying a second hand EX500 for us.

The EX500 was exactly the right size to replace the old Collins and Benix/King radar units, but they made the EX600 a bit taller, which breaks it as a slide-in replacement. I can understand wanting to improve the product, but they broke the use-case for us.

Our current plan is a reconditioned Bendix/King RDR 2000, with a reconditioned MFD. Our avionics guys say they can get these at affordable prices from other conversions. Lets see – the thought has me salivating. Right now I am canvassing the internet for a replacement Collins indicator. If I can find one that works, it will take the pressure off for finding an immediate solution, and then I can evaluate my alternatives properly.

I think that RDR2000 has vertical profile or is it the RDR2100, wishing I had that option…That Radar guy can probably answer that one…

rtowe
        Participant
          quote RTOWE:

quote ACrowther1:

Thanks for your replies.

I think that RDR2000 has vertical profile or is it the RDR2100, wishing I had that option…That Radar guy can probably answer that one…

Too bad you can’t cut the DME loose, you would have enough room…Nice panel 8)

quote ACrowther1:

Thanks for your replies.

Suggest you replace the DME with a KN63 (a 1/3ATI space you will find), and you are in business for the EX600…. The pan function alone is worth the money.

ART-2000 and ART-2100 both have Vertical Profile, the 2100 has a little more power out and 120 deg. scan rather than 120 deg. I have an EX-500 with international database that will work with the Collins system but you will have to replace your antenna with an ANT-310 and RT with a WXT-250A or B.

I have bought the Collins IND-200A off eBay – thanks for the hint. There’s a big chance it’s U/S when we get it, but at that price it’s worth the risk. Hopefully that will buy us some time and I can spend some time going over the alternatives. This has been a bit of a wake-up call: time to get a new wx-radar! 🙂

I like the idea of replacing the DME to make space – will have to run that past my partners, see what they think.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.