Unexpected situations

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Safety Issues & Accidents Unexpected situations

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

This was a weird situation when I was flying my 340 to Puerto Vallarta on September 16. It was a VFR flight but when I was approaching the area in Puerto Vallarta it was IFR conditions. I asked the controller for vectors to an IFR approach. He gave me the instruction to intercept a Victor Airway and expect the VOR-DME approach to runway 22. Later he gave me a heading to intercept the last segment of the approach. When I was about 15 miles from the airport and descending to 4000 in the soup, he made a call: ‘Everybody in this frequency, there was an earthquake in the area, expect new instructions until we know the runway is safe to land’. My 11 years old son-copilot and I turned our heads to behold each other. His eyes were telling me: ‘Now what? Are we going to be like the 2012 movie?’ The controller started to send holding instructions to everybody. I said my son not to alarm his mom and brother in the back and wait for a clearer situation. We had enough fuel for 3 more hours so I got relaxed and waited for the controller to call us. Somebody asked the guys in the tower if they were OK, ‘It was a 3.6 earthquake, not bad, but you can imagine how it feels up here’ the tower answered, on a nervous voice tone. After a 15 minutes hold, we were cleared to land on runway 4, and told my wife and other son the news. I learned that the only time you have a lot of fuel is when you are on a fire.

After taking off from Aspen, Colorado, I heard an emergency call from another airplane asking Aspen tower for runway 15 or the highway. He said he lost an engine or the engine and was descending rapidly. This was the first time in 35 years I hear an emergency call.
    We could not hear what happened next. It was Wednesday August 17th.
    Does anybody knows where can I find information about this kind of incidents in aviation?

Rodolfo
    1978 C340A RAM VII

quote RENRIQUEZ:

After taking off from Aspen, Colorado, I heard an emergency call from another airplane asking Aspen tower for runway 15 or the highway. He said he lost an engine or the engine and was descending rapidly. This was the first time in 35 years I hear an emergency call.
    We could not hear what happened next. It was Wednesday August 17th.
    Does anybody knows where can I find information about this kind of incidents in aviation?

Rodolfo
    1978 C340A RAM VII

I don’t see anything listed here for Aspen, CO, Rodolfo, but here’s a place to watch:

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/accident_incident/preliminary_data/

Perhaps it turned out well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.