Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

On yesterday’s flight out here in the 310, my wife (6,000 hour pilot and self-described Twin Cessna Girl) and I were discussing wanting air conditioning for the 310.

Wife: “Well, we could always just get a RAM VII 340 with air conditioning.”

Me: 😯

LOL! Welcome to my world!

I’d been telling my wife that I’d like to step up to a 340 from the Aztec and last weekend on the way back to WI from FL she asked, “Ok, so if we had the 340, would we be home by now?” Me: “um, yeah, about an hour ago, it would shave about 3 hours off our round trip with no winds and you wouldn’t have had to wear O2.” Her: “Ok, fine.”

I said thanks for the pressure…. try to sell the Aztec, shop for a 340, get up to speed on 340 systems and procedures, initial training…. got to love a woman that wants you to own a faster airplane!

For various reasons, I don’t see it happening until we have a good cause to look for a new plane. Having just put new engines on the 310 and gotten the avionics almost exactly where we want it, plus a really good airframe in general with good P&I, its hard to come up with reasons to sell it from that side. The plane also is still primarily a dog hauler (even though we’re now doing more family hauling than dog hauling), for which a 340 wouldn’t work as well due to the lack of a crew door, and we tend to fly in and out of shortish strips that the 310 does fine, but I’d worry about a bit in the 340. Then there’s the personal relationship we have with the previous owner, for which I wouldn’t want to sell the plane.

Being able to true out at 210-220 and go into the flight levels would be nice, especially for the longer trips. Our flights to Newfoundland and the like would benefit from a RAM VII 340 without a doubt. On the other hand, we’re still doing anywhere from 175-190 KTAS depending on power setting and altitude (below 10k ft) on 22-27 GPH combined, and we don’t have to deal with the long climb and descent to get that speed.

Then there’s always the cash component of it. The 310 is at a price point where we can pretty much afford to fly it as much as we care to and the maintenance/insurance is tolerable, especially given my level of involvement with the maintenance. I think the price point on a 340 would take us out of that happy area that we have now.

So I think the most logical solution is that we’ll figure out how to add AC to this plane. 🙂

I could have nearly written the exact same response. I really am happy with how our Aztec is decked out and to set up a 340 with all the bells and whistles we have in the Aztec would be $$$. I see them on the market occasionally but they are usually priced out of range.

I laughed when you refered to anything about airplanes and logic in the same sentence! 😉

So far, my answer to AC as been to climb to where it’s cooler, but I know that isn’t always possible. I would think that you’ll really like AC as your kid(s) get older but still can’t really see out the windows. I’m sure hot muggy cabins with no visiblity contributed to my kids abundunt usage of sic saks. Thankfully they are well beyond that age.

We’ll see – she mentioned that we needed a 340 again today. So maybe she’s serious after all…

I don’t mind a project per se, but if we went with a 340 I’d prefer one that was at least as good as we had now, which would probably be high. We’ll see.

Ted, don’t argue with your wife! :mrgreen:

We talked about it some more on the flight back today, and have decided the joke around the house will be “…that’s why we need a 340” until further notice. 😉

We also agreed that we need AC. We aren’t real fans of the Arctic Air solution because of our frequently long flights, though, so this may take a bit.

Tom, I know better than to argue with my wife! :mrgreen:

Ted, get a 340 and send the dogs Greyhound. Life is too short.

Sorry, I did not mean it. 😳

quote RENRIQUEZ:

Ted, get a 340 and send the dogs Greyhound. Life is too short.

Sorry, I did not mean it. 😳

We’re accepting donations. Your 340 would make a great tax write-off. :mrgreen:

Happy wife, happy life!

Gerald T. Alves
    Participant

Ted I owned a 1978 340A Ram seven N6219C. My wife loved the air and press. I bought a 1980 421C and kept the 340. I discovered the operating cost for the 421 was very close to the 340. I could go the same speed on the same fuel with a larger cabin and better air conditioning. The only difference was the cost for OH. The 421C is a little bit more to OH. I still have my Colemill President Two ( IO550’s) Baron and will never sell it. In fifty years of flying I have only owned twins. I am about to buy my first single a PC12/45E.

quote GALVES:

Ted I owned a 1978 340A Ram seven N6219C. My wife loved the air and press. I bought a 1980 421C and kept the 340. I discovered the operating cost for the 421 was very close to the 340. I could go the same speed on the same fuel with a larger cabin and better air conditioning. The only difference was the cost for OH. The 421C is a little bit more to OH. I still have my Colemill President Two ( IO550’s) Baron and will never sell it. In fifty years of flying I have only owned twins. I am about to buy my first single a PC12/45E.

I’ve said for a while that the cost to operate (maintenance, fuel, etc) between a 421 and 340 would be very close, but never had a lot of data to back it up – thanks for the datapoint!

I’m really going to be curious what the maintenance cost on the pc12 is going to be…

Robert

Gerald T. Alves
      Participant

The DOC’s ( direct operating cost) will be double the 421.

quote GALVES:

Compared to a 310 or 340?

quote GALVES:

Ouch… Oh well, still a great airplane.

What do you think the maintenance cost will be?

Robert

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.