turbo problem, high MP and popping when power at idle

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues turbo problem, high MP and popping when power at idle

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I am hoping someone has seen something like this before and might be able to shed some like on my specific turbo symptom. Basically, when I fire up my left engine, it immediately wants to run fast, much more than the line guys at the FBO would like. If I pull back to close, the engine dies, after popping and sputtering… when this starts to happen I open the throttle back up, and things are ok, but that is 25″ MP and nearly 2000 rpm. (this is a 1969 T310-P)

At full power things are fine… at 6,000 MSL I start seeing power reduction, like the left turbo isn’t working… I lose about .5″ of MP for every 1k feet above 6000.

I tried alt air, which made no difference. I also tried leaning during taxi to see if I could get the engine to idle normally, which made no difference.

I am attaching a photo of the gauges during taxi at “minimum” idle. Once the engine shuts down, the MP stays high (and I am at sea level.)

Ideas?

thanks!

Graham Street
    N5765m
    Atlanta Ga

Attachments:

quote GSTREET:

Hi,

I am hoping someone has seen something like this before and might be able to shed some like on my specific turbo symptom. Basically, when I fire up my left engine, it immediately wants to run fast, much more than the line guys at the FBO would like. If I pull back to close, the engine dies, after popping and sputtering… when this starts to happen I open the throttle back up, and things are ok, but that is 25″ MP and nearly 2000 rpm. (this is a 1969 T310-P)

At full power things are fine… at 6,000 MSL I start seeing power reduction, like the left turbo isn’t working… I lose about .5″ of MP for every 1k feet above 6000.

I tried alt air, which made no difference. I also tried leaning during taxi to see if I could get the engine to idle normally, which made no difference.

I am attaching a photo of the gauges during taxi at “minimum” idle. Once the engine shuts down, the MP stays high (and I am at sea level.)

Ideas?

thanks!

Graham Street
    N5765m
    Atlanta Ga

To me it sounds like your waste gate is stuck partially open (or has a limited range of travel). Or perhaps a similar issue with the fuel/air controller. I would check the wastegate first. you can move it thru it’s range of travel on the ground with a tool. Also, mouse milk oil on the wastegate butterfly shaft helps too. You can compare motion left vs right engine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.