This Was On The Way to The Convetion

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section General Topics This Was On The Way to The Convetion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Great example of the latency of XM. We were not far enough out in front of this. See if you can pick out what happens here. If you were at the convention and did the radar course you will totally understand what we are talking about when we say latency. Unfortunately for us the airborne radar was on the fritz.

Big reason why I like XM for giving me the big picture and things like weather ahead at the destination, but why it’s got minimal value (and I’ve typically argued is dangerous) when dealing with. Picking your way through storms or detecting convective activity.

Lookks like the storm was developing rapidly and the XM didn’t have it picked up yet.

Did you take a lightning strike?

No strike and actually it look s much closer than it was. In truth it was probably about 3-5 miles away just looks MUCH closer than it was.

That’s why I’m happy to have a Stormscope on board. That device has kept me away from more TRW’s than anything else.

Guy

quote GMAHER:

That’s why I’m happy to have a Stormscope on board. That device has kept me away from more TRW’s than anything else.

Guy

I like stormscopes quite a bit. Also like radar. So we have both. 🙂

Our Strikefinder is “tactical”. The XM on the 496 is “strategic”. It’s (496 XM), paid for itself several times because we’ve diverted after watching developing weather at fuel stops. But… Here in the West, it’s educational to watch developing convective weather with the eyeballs and … later on XM.

IIRC there was a Twin Comanche in-flight break-up over the Chesapeake Bay area while threading a line using XM weather. The Flightaware track wasn’t pretty.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.