Tell me about 320s…

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Buying a Twin Cessna Tell me about 320s…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

They are all Turbo charged right..?

How are the different from say, a comparable T-310 of the same era like a Q model?

Doesn’t seem to many around for sale. Are they desireable or to be avioded..?

The 320 was effectively the turbocharged 310, prior to the official T310. However, it did have some notable differences, the biggest one being a slightly longer cabin (although I think the later 310s had a cabin of equal size, not certain). Plus they have the cool name “Skyknight” that you can use on the radio. 8)

The 320C and earlier had the TSIO-470 engines rated at 260 HP. The D-F models had TSIO-520 engines, which were more powerful and easier to find parts for. The engine and airframe in the later models were reportedly better as far as minor fixes being done to the airframe.

The 320s did have some issues with the exhaust systems. One person I talked to actually survived a fire when the exhaust set his wing on fire, and he landed the plane in a field. He then promptly ran away. Most people were not so lucky – he said the person who investigated the fire had investigated 6 others at the time, and this was the first person who’d survived any of them. I believe there are ADs out on the exhaust system, as is the case for a number of the turbocharged Twin Cessnas.

I’d consider buying one. Were it not for the circumstances under which I acquired my 310, I probably would have looked to purchase a 320 instead.

I had a 67 320E. It was a great plane. Fast as hell and it would climb 500 ft/min on one engine. I consistently saw 200+ ktas in the low teens. Not that I would do it, according to the poh it can take off on one engine. The fire issue is the exact same for all turbo charged twin Cessnas. Maintenance costs are similar to all turbo twin Cessnas. I would not buy a tsio-470 engined 320. 67-68 are the best years.

quote SGERBER:

I had a 67 320E. It was a great plane. Fast as hell and it would climb 500 ft/min on one engine. I consistently saw 200+ ktas in the low teens. Not that I would do it, according to the poh it can take off on one engine. The fire issue is the exact same for all turbo charged twin Cessnas. Maintenance costs are similar to all turbo twin Cessnas. I would not buy a tsio-470 engined 320. 67-68 are the best years.

I’ll respectfully disagree. I believe the poh procedures refer to an engine failure at rotation, but my book is not handy now.

Got home from the camp trip… My 310 book is written nearly the same as that for the ’66 Skyknight I owned some years ago. IIRC.

I use 95 KIAS as “Recommended Single Engine Safe Speed”. Book says 92 KIAS. Given plenty of runway, ref. Accelerate – Stop Distance, that’s where I rotate. Gear retraction a few seconds later at Blue Line. Nowhere do I find a reference to beginning a takeoff roll with an engine feathered.

My 320, with TSIO-520’s, cruised 5 to 8 kts faster than my 310. Same power settings/fuel burn. 320 had 2-bl props and no VG’s. Same de-ice equipment, except the 320 had a windshield hot plate.

Rich
    Its been 13 years since I had my 320. We are both right, The poh says that if you have reached 115 mph you are capable of continuing the takeoff.(not that I would). Also, I remember that my 320 consistently would climb 500 ft/min on one engine. Overall I thought the 320 was a great airplane, even though I am now spoiled with pressurization having owned a 414 for 10 years and now I own a 421.

quote SGERBER:

Rich
    Its been 13 years since I had my 320. We are both right, The poh says that if you have reached 115 mph you are capable of continuing the takeoff.(not that I would). Also, I remember that my 320 consistently would climb 500 ft/min on one engine. Overall I thought the 320 was a great airplane, even though I am now spoiled with pressurization having owned a 414 for 10 years and now I own a 421.

Agreed, the 320 is a great airplane 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.