Taxi and Landing Light Replacement

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Taxi and Landing Light Replacement

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

What’s the groups experience with changing over the Taxi lights and Landing lights over to HID or LED? What’s really available that is either a straight drop in or has an STC?

Ed

quote WLIPPISCH:

What’s the groups experience with changing over the Taxi lights and Landing lights over to HID or LED? What’s really available that is either a straight drop in or has an STC?

Ed

I just put in Wheelen Prometheus lights for the taxi and my cowl mounted landing lights. I left the retractable landing lights since I never use them.

Been happy with them so far.

Robert

Changed the taxi to the Whelan LED and have been happy with the brightness and more importantly sturdiness. Seems to be worth the $$$ so far and was as simple as a bulb change. I seem to have had better luck with the retractables so havent touched them at this stage.

I replaced the standard GE lights on my 340A with Wheelen LED’s. They don’t have a STC because they been been approved as a PMA. I really like them for flying in the winter in Canada, they provide better lighting on snowy runways at night. They look cool too.

Change them to the Whelen Par 36 taxi and Par 46 landing lights you will love them, brighter, sturdier and less amps draw.

jreynolds
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about replacing the Lights on my T310R and started reading this post string. I just installed the Whelen Par 36 taxi light and agree that this is a great replacement light. It’s very bright and an easy install.

Before I order for our 1973 T310Q, I wanted to make sure that I selected the proper Whelen lights.

Am I correct in ordering the 28V PAR36 (PLED2T) light for the nose gear taxi light and the 28V PAR46 (PLED462L) light for the retractable landing lights??

Thanks for any help!

You are correct – PAR46 28V for the tip lights.

Whelen discounted the tip and nose gear Parametheus lights for us. I’m very happy with them. When we added nacelle landing lights, Teledyne donated a pair of AlphaBeams. I haven’t flown with them yet and will report back when I do.

Please let us know on the AlphaBeams. If you read the online reviews, there are a few people who changed to AlphaBeam from Whelens and were pleased.

I’m underwhelmed by my Whelen taxi light. It works, but I wouldn’t call it bright.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.