Stripping De-ice boots

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Stripping De-ice boots

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have a secrete method for stripping de-icing boots other than or in addition to the “Cleaning prep” Tri-guard product?

I used PBS boot prep recently and it did a good job

A little off post but any ideas for the best prices / option for replacement boots?

I was able to snag some ice shields from a shop in California that had some on the shelf and did not use them. I have a new rt horizontal stab already installed but looking for inner wing on both sides, left horizontal stab and vertical stab.

The inner boots and vertical stab are not too bad – no patches – but a real “bubbly”. Seem to have lost a lot of their rigidity / elasticity. What is your criteria for replacement?

Thanks / Scott

rwelsh
    Participant

I always recommend Boots Edge in Tulsa; just a short trip for you. Get an appointment and they can do it in one or two days. Boots Edge also sells quarts of a stripper I really like. It is messy and requires good rubber gloves. They recommend using those 3M sheets (whose name I can’t remember) that come is grey and purple and look like plastic steel wool. Use the purple ones with lots of the stripper and go over it multiple times until you get clean rubber. Then use MEK to clean up the boots with. As I said; very messy and smelly. Then it takes at least two coats of boot protectant, probably three to get a good coverage and keep the ultraviolets away from the rubber.

I shopped around, globalparts.aero had the best price for just the boots. I am getting them installed locally by my A&P.

quote SMcEwen1:

The inner boots and vertical stab are not too bad – no patches – but a real “bubbly”. Seem to have lost a lot of their rigidity / elasticity. What is your criteria for replacement?

On my Aztec, it was when I hit “inflate” one night and the boots failed to inflate due to leaks. 😯

If you have no holes in the boots, then you’re fine. The big concern is holding the air pressure.

cochrane
      Participant
        quote SMcEwen1:

The inner boots and vertical stab are not too bad – no patches – but a real “bubbly”.

One problem that sometimes presents itself is delamination of portions of the boot from the wing leading edge. In that case the boots will have a bubbly appearance but it is obvious that the backside of the boot has separated from the wing. If the boot was not installed correctly or the underlying glue is defective the boot will lose adhesion to the wing. In that case moisture can build up in the void / pocket behind the boot and cause the aluminum to corrode.

quote RWELSH:

I always recommend Boots Edge in Tulsa; just a short trip for you. Get an appointment and they can do it in one or two days. Boots Edge also sells quarts of a stripper I really like. It is messy and requires good rubber gloves. They recommend using those 3M sheets (whose name I can’t remember) that come is grey and purple and look like plastic steel wool. Use the purple ones with lots of the stripper and go over it multiple times until you get clean rubber. Then use MEK to clean up the boots with. As I said; very messy and smelly. Then it takes at least two coats of boot protectant, probably three to get a good coverage and keep the ultraviolets away from the rubber.

Does Boots Edge also trouble shoot the deice system in general or just do the boots…. I likely need both….

bthomason
        Participant
          quote RZIEGLER:

quote RWELSH:

Does Boots Edge also trouble shoot the deice system in general or just do the boots…. I likely need both….

Unfortunately, I got a call from BootsEdge a week or two ago informing me they were going out of business. No reason given or whether they were selling the business – rights to their process and products, just out-of-business. If I get any more information, I’ll post it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.