starting a io 470/hot or cold

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Operational Issues starting a io 470/hot or cold

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Recently bought a 310i that Iam in process of “restoring”….its my 3rd 310 but previous have been 520s…fly a lot of Baja in summer and would appreciate your experience in starting both hot and cold..also what should I expect for fuel burn and airspeed..thanks in advance…Gene

rwelsh
    Participant

At 23 squared and leaned out at 9 to11,000 feet, and the EGT is about 100 degrees rich, you should get 172 knots at 11.5 to 12 GPH. For hot starts I would have the mixture rich and turn on the boost to high. Then open the throttle until about 18 GPH shows on the fuel flow. The turn off the boost pump and closed the throttle. Start cranking and increase the throttle until the engine fires, about 12 or so blades. The reason to open the throttle gradually is to get to the fuel air mixture that will fire that day due to temp and pressure and humidity. Some owners do the same thing except they gradually close the throttle until it fires with the correct fuel air mixture.

But there are four or five other methods owners swear by so do what works for you.

This is my hot start procedure for my Cont IO-470:

1)Mixture idle cut-off
      2)Throttle full open
      3)run boost pump for at least 30 seconds, then stop
      4)Throttle – retard to ~1/4 open
      5)Mixture – rich
      6)Prime as normal
      7)Hit starter immediately (or do 7&6 together)

This procedure circulates cool fuel through the fuel pump and fuel control unit, and then back to the fuel tank. Helps cool the system down.

It also helps to open the oil filler doors and park into the wind during your stopover. Every little bit of heat dissipation helps!

-Jason

quote RWELSH:

At 23 squared and leaned out at 9 to11,000 feet, and the EGT is about 100 degrees rich, you should get 172 knots at 11.5 to 12 GPH.

So what would one expect at 50 degrees lean of peak?

rwelsh
      Participant

At 50 dF LOP and non-turboed, you will lose about 8 to 10 knots speed and use about 10 GPH. I didn’t fly much LOP in my non-turbo 310 as I didn’t like the deck angle at 162 knots TAS. I like to fly with the nose on the horizon or a bit nose down measured by the top of the tip tank even with the horizon, but this can sometimes is a function of how the plane is loaded. You will most likely need GAMI injectors to fly LOP unless you are real lucky in the injector choice TCM made.

There isn’t much you can do to improve the performance of the 310 except make sure your gear doors close completely and load the plane so you get a zero deck angle as measured by the top of the tip tanks. You can decrease your cooling drag by having a super tight set of baffles and hole sealing throughout the engine. Make sure all the fillets, fairings and inspection covers are secure and not flapping. Deoxidize and polish the plane also helps some. Make sure your boarding step comes completely flush when the gear is up and locked; there is a cable adjustment available if the step hangs down. Keep your boots polished with the BOOT Treatment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.