Starter Adapter Shortage

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Starter Adapter Shortage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

I received this via email the other day and wanted to share:

To our GTSIO520 Customer:

Continental Motors, Inc. is experiencing a disruption in the supply of components used in the production of GTSIO520 starter adapters. The affected starter adapter part numbers are: 643259A16 and A17, A24, A28, A40 and A43 used on all Continental GTSIO520 engines. Also affected is the starter adapter kit EQ6642, both new and rebuilt, referenced in MSB94-4G.

Continental Motors is working diligently to resolve the supply issues and to resume production of these starter adapters as quickly as possible. Nevertheless, this process may take as long as 5 months. Continental Motors understands the impact this disruption will have on the GTSIO520 fleet, and will continue to keep our customers informed of our progress in resuming starter adapter production.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact customer service at 800-326-0089 or 251-436-8292 .

Sincerely,
    Continental Motors’ Team

I got mine about 2 months ago. There are not many out there to begin with, and the cost is sky high. My understanding is the tapered shaft used requires a special grinder and maybe only aircraft specialty has this capability. (Niagara, etc do not do in house overhaul).

It is also possible the issue they are having is the main shaft gear, which is also replaced with the adapter.

The third component is the viscous dampener. The rest of it seems either easy to machine or common with the other designs (springs, etc)

bthomason
    Participant
      quote EPANNING:

I got mine about 2 months ago.

Eric, Continental just learned about this at Oshkosh, I was told. A supply didn’t show up and when they called, the supplier told them to contact their lawyer. To Continental’s credit, they hopped right on the problem and, after site visits and quality checks, chose a new supplier. Originally they thought it would be a full year before they could ship. That’s now down to 5 months.

Unfortunately these sorts of situations are fairly common in General Aviation these days due to our low parts volume, product liability, etc.

Thanks for the details Bob. Was it the dampener?

bthomason
      Participant
        quote EPANNING:

Thanks for the details Bob. Was it the dampener?

According to the part #, it was the entire assembly including the viscous damper.

quote BThomason:

Unfortunately these sorts of situations are fairly common in General Aviation these days due to our low parts volume, product liability, etc.

That is very true. It’s hard to keep vendors open and even harder to find new ones. When I was at Lycoming, we were doing a lot of work to bring manufacturing back in-house so we had more control and to reduce problems.

rwelsh
        Participant
          quote :

Was it the dampener?

There is a viscous dampener on the back of the starter drive on GTSIO engines to take up power pulses. It is on the outside of the adaptor. There may be other uses for it in the engine, but I am not up to speed on that.

quote RWELSH:

quote :

Was it the dampener?

There is a viscous dampener on the back of the starter drive on GTSIO engines to take up power pulses. It is on the outside of the adaptor. There may be other uses for it in the engine, but I am not up to speed on that.

Thanks, I was wondering if it was the viscous dampener that they had to alternate source as it is fairly specialized for airplanes and could also be a source of liability. (if it fails the engine fails soon after)

I thought this issue would not affect me. Because of my wastegate actuator failure at the end of July, my engine is sitting at RAM awaiting a new starter adapter…TCM tells me Nov-Dec for new adapters.

Nobody will accept ANY liability for the failure of the RAM OH’d wastegate actuator. It had 35 hours on it…I asked them what the NTSB would think had I VMC’d it on final. They responded, “I understand what you are saying, but that is our position on this situation.”

So, the only party involved that definitely holds no fault in the part failure is paying for it…all of it.

After my dealings with RAM, I would go TCM for my future engine needs.

quote tallen:

I thought this issue would not affect me. Because of my wastegate actuator failure at the end of July, my engine is sitting at RAM awaiting a new starter adapter…TCM tells me Nov-Dec for new adapters.

Nobody will accept ANY liability for the failure of the RAM OH’d wastegate actuator. It had 35 hours on it…I asked them what the NTSB would think had I VMC’d it on final. They responded, “I understand what you are saying, but that is our position on this situation.”

So, the only party involved that definitely holds no fault in the part failure is paying for it…all of it.

After my dealings with RAM, I would go TCM for my future engine needs.

That sucks! Was this the threaded fitting that failed on the actuator and dumped almost all your oil? The only reasonable answer is they did not remove the fitting, and you would think they would have to because there is a rubber o-ring that is in there that gets hard and starts weeping.

The other possibility is they mistakenly thought it was an pipe thread fitting and over torqued it.

Did the old adapter fail the AD tests?

The old fitting was used in the new actuator. RAM says it gets over torqued by mechanics trying to stop an oil leak. I didn’t have any oil leaks. The line guys commented to me that my airplane was always the cleanest. The other 400 series were a bigger job to clean up.

Tom,
          Was there a reason why they could not use the old starter adapter? It is field replaceable (not easy) so if it met the requirements of the AD you could replace it later (also the main gear)

Eric

The main gear needed replaced, so the starter adapter must also be replaced…or, so they told me.

quote tallen:

The main gear needed replaced, so the starter adapter must also be replaced…or, so they told me.

Yep, That’s per the AD. Probably some tooth damage on the main gear (excess wear marks). They must be replaced as a set.

DART airparts in Waco supplied the last EQ6642 I installed. April of this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.