Stall Vane and Static Port Heat on Known Ice Aircraft

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Stall Vane and Static Port Heat on Known Ice Aircraft

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

The pilots Information Manual speaks of a separate stall vane and fuel vent heat switch which is not on my aircraft, T310R1591. There is a circuit breaker labeled as such, but no switch. How can I verify that my static ports and stall vane heat are indeed working?

Thank you so very much for your attention.

cochrane
    Participant

You can turn them on and go out and touch them to confirm that they are working. They don’t reach the high temperature of a pitot heater. The stall vane on my aircraft does not get very warm – maybe 20 degrees above ambient. Be careful of the pitot tube temperature, though.

I also suggest two other checks: 1) For each flight, prior to engine start, check and record the current draw with the switch on and off. Since you don’t have a separate stall vane / static vent switch it is probably tied to your pitot heat switch. I would check current draw with and without your stall vane /static vent breaker pulled. If you compare the present and past current values prior to flight it gives you a pretty good idea whether everything is working. 2) During each inspection ask your mechanic to measure and record the current draw for each individual heating element, including your pitot tube(s). I like to do that because it is a quantified confirmation of performance of each element and it provides trend data.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.