Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello, my new to me c421 is coming together little by little. The engine from Ram is to be shipped to us in a couple of days.

it is to be installed next week while i,m out of the country .itis to be flown by a check pilot and . Any additional items needing

attention will be repaired.This is all good except I ,ll not have time to learn the airplane prior to heading to Florida to attend

SIM Com. ANYONE OUT WHO HAS ATTENTED THE INTRO insurance required course please give me a heads up on what I may

expect. Thanks gthornton

I did the SimCom 421 initial in the Dallas facility in March of last year (yikes – Almost recurrent time!).

It’s a solid week – 2-4 hour of ground school in the morning and 2-4 hours of sim work in the afternoon. If you are by yourself then you’ll just have 2 hours of sim in the afternoon, but I had a partner and it was good to sit in the right seat and watch him do the same stuff I had just gone through.

The systems training is good, but be careful if you have a mixed class of B & C drivers – The systems are very different in many cases, and there were a few issues where the instructor got a bit messed up. In his defense, he was a “B” guy with limited C time.

The sim itself was good. The Dallas one is non motion and at the time did not have a moving map (note: I understand they have the ex-Flight Safety motion 421 sim in Dallas now, but I haven’t flown it yet). The visuals were outstanding however and did a great job compensating for no motion. I also didn’t care about not having a gps since I know how to use mine well enough and it was harder (and better training) without the GPS. I had done some sim training before, but it was always in “generic” models – The 421 sim is a real 421 cockpit and it was cool having the switches all where they were supposed to be.

My only real complaint is that the sim sessions were a bit staged so you always knew – or highly suspected – what was going to happen.

Like all sims, it’s pretty twitchy and you have to work hard. The airplane is definitely easier to fly.

Read your POH and this site before you go so you’ll be ahead of the game systems wise and you’ll be fine.

Have fun and report back!

Robert

Thanks Robert, I have a home in the Villages just outside of Orlando so guess that,s where I will attend the Sim-Com course. My understanding is they do not have the motion sim,. Maybe I should reconsider and take the course at Dallas . I believe the flight saftey sim is the motion sim. Would you advise the motion sim?
    Thanks again for your in put. gthornton

Thanks Robert, I have a home in the Villages just outside of Orlando so guess that,s where I will attend the Sim-Com course. My understanding is they do not have the motion sim,. Maybe I should reconsider and take the course at Dallas . I believe the flight saftey sim is the motion sim. Would you advise the motion sim?
    Thanks again for your in put. gthornton

quote GTHORNTON:

Maybe I should reconsider and take the course at Dallas . I believe the flight saftey sim is the motion sim. Would you advise the motion sim?

I don’t know – I haven’t flown the motion sim.

The FlightSafety 421 sim was motion based, but SimCom purchased it and moved it to Dallas. I’ll probably try it when I go in for recurrent and I’ll give a pirep.

Since you live near Orlando, just use the Simcom there. I doubt the motion base is worth the trip to Dallas.

Robert

I just finished Simcom in Orlando January 25 2012. I too jus purchased a 421C and am transitioning from a SenecaII. The training is intense. I had a classmate, so it was 2 hours of class in the morning with 2 hours of sim(1hour left seat 1hour right seat). Then repeat all that in the afternoon. I spent another few hours in the evening reviewing the days events and studying for the next day. The sim was great, the classroom could use upgraded visuals.

Attachments:

g sage

very good looking airplane you have. Are you beginning to feel comfortable when flying

it yet? I was going to sim com at Orlando the first week in March but changed to

the first week in April.My plane will be finished tomorrow and want to get some hands

on . Guess i will get ready to hit the books again. Thanks for your input. gthornton

I just saw your question about my feeling more comfortable in the 421. I flew it for the first time week before last from Waco TX to Grand Rapids MI.(my first time flying a 421). I took an experienced 421 pilot with me – good thing -. We discussed all the differences between my Seneca II and the 421. Since then I have been up to do some pattern work and I am confident over time it will get better, but right now, I am feeling way behind the airplane and don’t like it! See my post “New 421”

gsage,

You state you had a seneca prior to your 421. How many hours did you have in it ?

what areas of the 421 do you feel behind the airplane in. I remmber when I went from a 140 mile per

hour airplane to my baron i would always get where i was going to before i was ready to.

Then i would be poorly prepared for the approach. But after a little more time time i caught up with the airplane and
    then was able to stay a head of it. Is that more or less your feeling of being behind ? gthornton Oops just saw the answers to my question at your other post sorry .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.