Retractable Landing light

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Retractable Landing light

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

The starboard retractable landing light on my 414A will no longer retract. The last time I replaced the port side motor/gear it was $1,600. Has anyone found a source for rebuilding these units?
    Thanks,
    Pete

I would call Juan Oviedo at DFWAM – he probably will know and could help you.

On another note, I would recommend installing nacelle lights at some point. You can turn them on/off without worrying about airspeed, and they don’t have a motor to break!

quote agutierrez:

On another note, I would recommend installing nacelle lights at some point. You can turn them on/off without worrying about airspeed, and they don’t have a motor to break!

Good thought. I’d like to do them on the 310 (don’t know if they’re available for the N model, probably a good question to ask Tony). If I did it, I’d want to put them on a three-position switch. Off, On, and Wig-Wag. The wig-wag function would be good for making you stand out better.

Thanks for the suggestion on nacelle lights but I already have them. They work fine but having all five lights is better. I don’t like it when things don’t work so that is why I want to get it repaired.

Don’t think anyone was suggesting an “instead of.”

Mike Busch has talked about repairing his landing light motors. I don’t know what goes out in them, but I figured that I’d go for it myself when my next one goes out. They are ridiculously expensive, and I’ve not heard of something else.

Might be worth asking Tony, as well.

quote :

Mike Busch has talked about repairing his landing light motors. I don’t know what goes out in them, but I figured that I’d go for it myself when my next one goes out. They are ridiculously expensive, and I’ve not heard of something else.

I saw the Mike Busch article too and I am a member of SAVVY as well. They suggested Kelly Aerospace as a possibility for rebuild so I am going to call them tomorrow. I really envy Mike’s ability to just tear into something and figure it out but I know that I am not capable of taking on such a repair…it would just wind up as a “box job.” I’m also don’t have much faith in my mechanic either so that is why I was looking for someone who might rebuild them. Given the number of these types of lights out there, I thought it might be a good line of business for someone.

My nacelle lights have the wig-wag option and I really use it a lot. They came with my plane so I don’t know who does that installation or how much they cost.

Sending a note to Tony was a good idea.
    Thanks,
    Pete

Fully understood, everyone’s got their own level of mechanical comfort. Since I’m in the realm of does all my own maintenance on my ground-based vehicles, I’ve been expanding what work I do on the 310 (within the appropriate legalities, of course). I wish I’d bothered to get my A&P, maybe one day.

I’d agree that you’d think someone would be repairing them and making a good amount of money undercutting the new prices. I had to replace one on the 310 and I recall it being in the $1500 range. That was at a time when I was using the plane a lot more than I am now and didn’t have the time to mess around with an attempted repair myself. Nowadays, if the plane’s down for a week or two it doesn’t matter.

quote TDUPUIS:

Good thought. I’d like to do them on the 310 (don’t know if they’re available for the N model, probably a good question to ask Tony). If I did it, I’d want to put them on a three-position switch. Off, On, and Wig-Wag. The wig-wag function would be good for making you stand out better.

That’s what I have – pulse light + nacelles + LED. Great combo.

I’ve seen nacelle mounted lights on 310Rs, but not on earlier 310s. So probably means need to look around and see if there’s an STC already. That seems like something I could get 337’d, but the time consuming part would be the wiring from the nacelles to the cabin. Would be best to do when that area was torn apart anyway.

If you could find someone to repair it, it would be much cheaper then overhaul. The motor and gear should be ~ 500 or so. (Crazy I know – and I don’t think those brushes are replaceable)

The Grimes maint manual is online somewhere if you google with the model number. Should have a breakdown of parts.

I think a good replacement would be something that fits into the same spot and has a slight dome to it (hanging down an inch or so). Could couple in some high power LED’s that would cast the same amount of light, use much less power, and could be left on since the dome would not move.

Probably would take a small fortune to get approval for too…

quote :

If you could find someone to repair it, it would be much cheaper then overhaul. The motor and gear should be ~ 500 or so. (Crazy I know – and I don’t think those brushes are replaceable)

Excellent advice. After calling around I quickly discovered that any overhaul exchange unit will run $1,450 and up but after calling Kelly Aerospace I learned they had sold that portion of their business to Aerospace Turbine Rotables in Wichita KS. It turns out they do repairs or overhauls and they stock a full line of parts. They said the motor is the most common problem and you are right…they run about $500. In any event, it looks like repairing will be a lot cheaper than an O/E unit. Worst case they will charge me $1,250 for a full overhaul if needed. I’ll post how well this repair goes in hopes that it will help others.
    Pete

Air Parts of Lock Haven overhauls motors… Maybe a call to them might help?

quote EPANNING:

I think a good replacement would be something that fits into the same spot and has a slight dome to it (hanging down an inch or so). Could couple in some high power LED’s that would cast the same amount of light, use much less power, and could be left on since the dome would not move.

The Whelen Parametheus LED lights bolt right into the factory spots, and draw way less power. I’m not sure if they put out more light. Part of me wants to believe they do, but they are at the very least equal. The lower power is a definite without question, and I also suspect they will have much better longevity. Also better if you want to do wig-wag lighting since LEDs don’t care about being cycled on and off, whereas incandescents do.

Pretty reasonable price on them, as well.

Disclaimer: Whelen gave us a discount on a set for the 310 because of our 501(c)3 status, but I wouldn’t have asked them for a discount if I didn’t think they were worth putting on.

quote TDUPUIS:

quote EPANNING:

The Whelen Parametheus LED lights bolt right into the factory spots, and draw way less power. I’m not sure if they put out more light. Part of me wants to believe they do, but they are at the very least equal. The lower power is a definite without question, and I also suspect they will have much better longevity. Also better if you want to do wig-wag lighting since LEDs don’t care about being cycled on and off, whereas incandescents do.

Pretty reasonable price on them, as well.

Disclaimer: Whelen gave us a discount on a set for the 310 because of our 501(c)3 status, but I wouldn’t have asked them for a discount if I didn’t think they were worth putting on.

I was thinking of a special assembly that would not move at all, but would have a narrow, high intensity beam of light come out almost parallel the wing tip (from a 1 d array of LED emitters). Then you could leave them on all the time,and not have to worry about the motor or gears burning out.

The LED technology has really advanced. I like what CREE research has been up to. Check out their 6W power consumption 40W output LED bulbs at home depot for 10 bucks.

quote EPANNING:

I was thinking of a special assembly that would not move at all, but would have a narrow, high intensity beam of light come out almost parallel the wing tip (from a 1 d array of LED emitters). Then you could leave them on all the time,and not have to worry about the motor or gears burning out.

The LED technology has really advanced. I like what CREE research has been up to. Check out their 6W power consumption 40W output LED bulbs at home depot for 10 bucks.

Ahh, ok. Wingtip LED light kinda deal. I’d like that as well, but I could settle for the nacelles since that’s going to be easier and cheaper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.