Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Avionics Topics RDR-160 Help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hi all, I have an RDR-160 in my 1977 Cessna 414. The unit works great for the first 30 or so minutes that I turn it on.. Then the CRT (Green Screen) goes solid Green. I can see a line sweep back and forth but the once normal green screen is just solid green.

I’m trying to understand if it might be my CRT or actually the Radar itself.. I’m wondering if there is a company I can talk to or if anyone has seen a similar problem?

This is my radar guy, David Gardner. 770-584-4760 I’ve been very happy with him. BTW, if the crt is shot, you can pick up a color display for peanuts. I believe it is a slide in replacement.

Thanks Sandy

rwelsh
    Participant
      quote :

BTW, if the crt is shot, you can pick up a color display for peanuts. I believe it is a slide in replacement.

I don’t think you can get a color slide-in replacement as you need a computer to convert the non-color signal into three color. The Avidyne EX500 or EX600 can do it. Maybe Sandy think $10K is cheap as he owns one of those expensive 421s to maintain.

When I installed the EX500, I sold the CRT display for $200 on Ebay. I do have a spare R/T unit you can try and see if that cures the problem. If you want to try it, get me the part number off your R/T unit.

I’d mention that if you have an RDR160, there are some neat other options from Avidyne to replace the display and expand your panel’s functionality. It depends on what you want to spend money on, though.

This brings up one question, though. I only turn radar on when I think I have a need for it, so in other words when I either know there’s thunderstorms out or when I think there might be and it’s hazy so I can’t see them. Winter time, pretty much never have it on. Am I alone in this practice?

You’re not alone. I never turn it on until my XM sources say I’m pointed at something yellow.

I had the RDR-160 coupled to an Avidyne EX600 in my F model Aztec. I really liked that combination. It takes a specific interconnect on the Avidyne, but all the controls and overlays were really nice.

At the time, Avidyne upgraded my EX500 to the EX600 and added the MLB700 XM weather/music at a special combo price.

I’m upgrading my entire panel with G600 and new equipment. I was going to go with the Avidyne to make it look nicer but at the end of the day I intend to later replace the RDR160 with a Garmin Digital Radar to display on the G600 so opt to go with crt replacment.

Does anyone know the model number of the color replacment head?

Sandy – just spoke with David. He seems like a really great guy.. Offered to look over my unit if I mail it to him so I may do that.

Kelly,

I had replaced my display twice. The unit that worked for my plane was a Bendix IN-152A. PN: 4000946-5201. I sold my old for $450 recently, on ebay.

Both times the display was a mess, would kind of work for a while then go all green. It was the display both times. So, if you spot one, ~$500 is the damage.

If you can test your system with a known working display, that may tell you the rest of the story.

Jim

rwelsh
      Participant

Kelly, you cannot get color unless you get the Avidyne EX500 or EX600 as that is the only company that has the display that will do three color for the RDF series.

I just spoke with a guy on this radar yesterday who said you could only do color if the RDR-160 had the color board added to it and it sounds like many didn’t.

Also he said you could use avidyne or you could also use the Bendix color screen to get color.

I think for me I’m just going to get a new green screen and spend the money later to go digital radar when I can get it.
        A CRM2120 and G600’s are where I want to spend my money vs the all new radar right now anyway.

Depending on your RDR-160 it may be directly color capable, see the following.
        The IN-132A and IN-152A monochrome indicators are compatible with all versions of the ART-161A. The IN-232A, IN-2026A, and IN-2028A color indicators are compatible with -6105 thru -6108 ART-161A versions

quote TDUPUIS:

This brings up one question, though. I only turn radar on when I think I have a need for it, so in other words when I either know there’s thunderstorms out or when I think there might be and it’s hazy so I can’t see them. Winter time, pretty much never have it on. Am I alone in this practice?

I used to do that but after doing the RTI course at the last convention I changed my practice.

I check it on taxi on every flight now and use it throughout the flight even on CAVOK days.

They say to check it on taxi to make sure it is actually working, which is a good idea. My RDR160 had seized bearings in the sweep motor, I only found out there was an issue when I turned it on and couldn’t paint anything when I needed it.

We were also told to fly with it on so you have a base line for what normal i, makes it easier to know what could be an issue etc if you know what normal looks like. With the newer GWX70 as they are solid state you don’t need to worry about magnetrons etc. I always thought leave the RDR160 Off so I don’t wear it out, which is expensive.

Andrew

anyone know if this Avidyne EX500 will work with my RDR-160 for an indicator? I’m not sure if all of them work or you have to have one with Radar interface?
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avidyne-EX500-MFD-PN-700-00007-001-Yellow-Tagged-/281219554808?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item4179fdddf8&vxp=mtr

The Avidyne EX500 that was installed in my last Aztec had the specific interface for the RDR-160. When I up graded the EX500 to the EX600, they upgraded MY box and retained the RDR-160 interface.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.