Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Operational Issues Ram IV to VI

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello all, looking for input on upgrading from a Ram IV to VI.

I’ve got a ’74 414 with the RAM IV and can upgrade it to the VI for approx. 25K. It’s the additional 290 Lbs +/- in gross that I could really use. The A/C is mechanically in great shape, need to do paint & interior, and love the way it flys, don’t really see the need for anything more capable.

Do you think it’s money (reasonably) well spent, or a waste, thanks for your thoughts.

I’m not an expert on this, but I do have a couple thoughts:

Would the extra load capacity allow you to carry another person or avoid a fuel stop? If so, and if that is important, it’s probably a good choice.

On the other hand, if the extra capacity will simply allow you to carry an extra few suitcases, you can FedEx a lot of suitcases to a lot of places for $25K.

I fly a RAM VI 414 and the extra useful load is critical to our operations. I would not go any other way. We are upgrading to RAM VII next month but the switch to RAM VI was a game changer!

Chuck
    N414ES

rwelsh
    Participant
      quote :

Hello all, looking for input on upgrading from a Ram IV to VI.

I’ve got a ’74 414 with the RAM IV and can upgrade it to the VI for approx. 25K. It’s the additional 290 Lbs +/- in gross that I could really use. The A/C is mechanically in great shape, need to do paint & interior, and love the way it flys, don’t really see the need for anything more capable.

If you tweek the fuel flow up to 38 GPH at T.O. and the boost up 41 inches at T.O., voila, you have a RAM VI which is all RAM does. RAM took the effort to do the paper shuffle with the FAA and got the extra HP approved. But you need to have the best set of very tight baffles with zero holes in the plenum to get rid of the extra heat.

I ran Ram VI engines on my 340 for 8 years and 1200 hours, then switched them out at TBO for RAM VIIs. There was quite an improvement in TAS and CHT with the latter over the former.

If I was going to make any change from your RAM IV, I would go to the VII. The larger intercoolers really make a difference, although a bit more costly.

Kevin Ware, ATP
      RAM VII, RSTOL, C340A

Do not hesitate, go for the RAM VII.

Rodolfo
      1978 C340A RAM VII

Engine mods come closest to a 100% return in resale value. Not saying it is 100% but much better overall than avionics.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.