"Certified" Logbooks

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues "Certified" Logbooks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I went to look at a plane in Dallas yesterday and was presented with notary signed “certified” copies of logbooks. The paperwork was crazy, but in order. Currently we are pursuing another aircraft, however, it got me to thinking about the validity of “certified” logbooks.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and do you think it would qualify as replacement logs and/or have any detrimental effect on aircraft value? I always document our logs electronically as a back up for our aircraft, but have never heard of anyone “certifying” them with a notary. There is/are no other documentation from any A&P or I/A regarding the validity of the certified logs either.

quote ZARMSTRONG:

I went to look at a plane in Dallas yesterday and was presented with notary signed “certified” copies of logbooks. The paperwork was crazy, but in order. Currently we are pursuing another aircraft, however, it got me to thinking about the validity of “certified” logbooks.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and do you think it would qualify as replacement logs and/or have any detrimental effect on aircraft value? I always document our logs electronically as a back up for our aircraft, but have never heard of anyone “certifying” them with a notary. There is/are no other documentation from any A&P or I/A regarding the validity of the certified logs either.

That doesn’t make any sense – unless the Notary signed every log entry to verify the signature of the mechanic. Of course, what everyone wants is assurances that the log entry is valid. The notary is only signing off on the signature, not the entry!

Were these certified copies for show, and the originals somewhere else or were these the only records left?

Eric

I have “certified true” copy(ies) of my birth certificate and DD-214. Whatever that means πŸ™‚

I have heard of people making copies of all their logs up to a given date and then have someone certify that the copy is complete i think there are even companies that will do this. I suppose having a notary to do it is like the poor mans method of doing it.

quote RCLOVER:

I have “certified true” copy(ies) of my birth certificate and DD-214. Whatever that means πŸ™‚

I do as well, but they didn’t come from a notary πŸ˜†

These documents were presented as the original logs as it appears the originals were copied, placed into a 3 ring binder, and the notary signed off on each page (even gave it an embossed seal). Where the originals are…no one knows.

While I agree this is better than not having the logs, I personally don’t think it is as good as having the originals and would affect resale some…but then again, that is why I posted on the forums to see what everyone else thought!

Regarding your comment about the effect on value…I think it depends on the consistency of the story and what a reasonable buyer will believe. If you had copies that were not notarized, but in order with at least some verifiable entires I think you can tell a fairly good story about that aircraft. I would see if you can track down any of the shops that performed the previous maintenance entires and cross reference with their records. Maybe you can get ahold of some old invoices or receipts that support these copies???

Best,

Josh

As an appraiser we see a lot of logs, but I don’t think I have had “certified” logs. Really does not mean a whole lot except maybe raising some eyebrows. A little over the top?

They weren’t the original logs, but photocopied. We didn’t end up buying the plane, but it did raise my eyebrows indeed! πŸ˜€

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.