Push Rod Tube Seal Replacement

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Push Rod Tube Seal Replacement

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I have a number of cylinders on my left engine that are leaking around the push rod tube seals and wondering if its possible to replace them without having to remove the engine? The ones that are not leaking are extremely rusty from being out on the coast all those years and just considering replacing them all or is it a huge deal?

Thanks,

Glenn

rwelsh
    Participant

on all TCMs you can remove the rocker cover, remove the rocker arms, pull out the push rods and remove the push rod tubes, and replace what you want. It helps to have a tool to remove and replace the tubes as the spring has a lot of tension. In a pinch, you can safety wire the spring after it is collapsed in a vise and then push it on the end of the tube, after install, cut the safety wire and pull out the safety wire pieces. Be careful when collapsing the spring in the vise as it can jump out of the vise and sting you. To release the push rod tube with the push rod removed, a thin bladed screwdriver can move the tube toward the engine against the spring tension and then it will drop down after moving the tube towards the engine 1/4 inch. Without removing the intake pipes and hoses, it is a close place to work.

Thanks for the info. I’ve got the exhaust stack off already and replacing all the studs as they were almost completely rusted. Will be taking intake off tonight and ordering new gaskets and pieces. There is enough oil leaking out that I’m thinking about just having mechanic run through and replace them all but will see what it looks like when I get to them.

Thanks again for the info and will hunt down a spring tool.

Glenn

While push rods are out, you can slide the lifters out and look at the cam lobes and lifter faces. You can also check the lifters for proper bleed down. It takes about 5 minutes per lifter to do all these checks.

rwelsh
      Participant

Glenn, while you have the intake hoses off, you might want to drill a 1/16″ hole in the blade of each clamp so you can safety wire the clamps together after installation. It is common to find loose clamps on the annual. If someone has replaced the clamps with the screwdriver slot variety, then it is still possible to run safety wire around each screw in the screwdriver slot and wire the two together. I would suggest new connecting hoses also.

Thanks for the info, will get it all done while its down. And yes, I had a number of the clamps loose and a few almost falling off.

Thanks for the input,

Glenn

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.