Propellers getting out of Sync

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Propellers getting out of Sync

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am experiencing an issue, I am flying my 1966 TwinCessna 310K and all is well at cruise, however, upon occasion I begin to hear the props get out of sync, initially I would correct with the prop levers, typically the left engine seemed the issue since the RPM showed a slight increase on the RPM gauge. On longer legs I have found that if you just leave it alone it self corrects. My mechanics have replaced about everything we can on these 200 hour engines, replaced mechanical pumps, the fuel spider and diaphragm, rebuilt prop governors, then swapped them from side to side, checked all propeller cables – cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled. We have run out of ideas.
    Has anyone had a similar experience and found a solution?
    Many thanks,

rwelsh
    Participant

I got tired of chasing prop sync problems and took out the system. Now I manually sync the props and it seems to work. Besides governor overhauls are a lot less without the prop sync motor to overhaul also.

It seems silly, but I had that problem in my first 340.
      And after a long time I noticed that the engine controls moved by themselves, so I started using the friction lock!
      It is a true story! 😳

Rodolfo

1978 C340A RAM VII

quote CCOCHRAN:

I am experiencing an issue, I am flying my 1966 TwinCessna 310K and all is well at cruise, however, upon occasion I begin to hear the props get out of sync, initially I would correct with the prop levers, typically the left engine seemed the issue since the RPM showed a slight increase on the RPM gauge. On longer legs I have found that if you just leave it alone it self corrects. My mechanics have replaced about everything we can on these 200 hour engines, replaced mechanical pumps, the fuel spider and diaphragm, rebuilt prop governors, then swapped them from side to side, checked all propeller cables – cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled. We have run out of ideas.
      Has anyone had a similar experience and found a solution?
      Many thanks,

If you have a sync system installed and need service, this shop did a good job for me a couple of years ago:

http://www.acs-rfd.com/

Like Rodolfo, I’ve found that an occasional twist on the friction helps, too 🙂

I don’t know if this system would work on your plane, but RAM sells a syncrophaser system that replaces existing magneto’s and sync.

http://www.ramaircraft.com/Aircraft-Parts/Synchrophaser/RAM-Synchrophaser.htm

What governors do you have? The Cirrus community had an issue with a plastic part on some governor (MaCauley?) that would deform overtime but always ground test good.

A Synchrophaser is way better than prop sync. Not only does it work better, but it sounds cool. Who would question spending 6k on a prop synchrophaser? 🙂 Actually, I have no idea if RAM’s unit works or not. Does anyone have any experience?

Guys,
      Thanks for all the inputs, each one valuable. 1. I do use the friction lock, good point to check still have the issue. 2. No prop sync installed, just me sync’ing the props and re-syncing when they wander out of sync. 3. The Prop Governor are woodward and both rebuilt at the same time with the same issue, we even swapped them side to side and still have the issue.
      My 310K is in for an extensive annual, side brace kit, all squawks being address replacing prop cables, etc. Wish me luck.

Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.