Prop throwing grease

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Operational Issues Prop throwing grease

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

The right McCauley prop on my C414 is starting to throw a little bit of grease on the engine cowl. Prop has about 520 hours and was overhauled in 2005. I understand it is now over the calendar time but has anybody had this same problem?

I’ve decided to address both propellers. The next question is to overhaul or reseal? Thoughts?

Thanks

I’ve had that on 3 props over time, all between the 500-700 hour times. In each time it was intermittent in time and quantity. I was always had the prop inspected and in each time it stopped within 100 hours of starting.

Andrew

Attachments:

Thanks for the picture Andrew. That is some mess. Was this over several hours of flying? Mine is just some sprinkles and is much less than your picture. The problem with continuing to run my prop is that I don’t know how much grease is in there and if it is going to continue to get worse. I almost hate to ask but does anybody know what were to happen if the prop was completely depleted of grease or extremely low?

That’s after about a 2 hour flight, the next flight nothing came out. It stopped after about 40 hours.

I always get it looked at by the right people, and monitor but as I said its the third prop I’ve had it with over 2 different aircraft and its always resolved in less then a 100 hours. We were going to pull them from memory if it got worse and past 100 hours but that’s a few years back now.

I don’t know but would say if the bearing seized you stop pitch control.

Andrew

quote GBrodnansky1:

The right McCauley prop on my C414 is starting to throw a little bit of grease on the engine cowl. Prop has about 520 hours and was overhauled in 2005. I understand it is now over the calendar time but has anybody had this same problem?

I’ve decided to address both propellers. The next question is to overhaul or reseal? Thoughts?

Thanks

Not an overhaul but I’ve had good results with these guys:

http://www.aeropropeller.com/PDF/propsaver.pdf

They found a cracked hub on a Part 91 inspection. It was a reasonably priced repair.

One shop I know of will not re-seal after the recommended TBO, only full overhaul…

I had exactly the same discharge on my first flight after an annual. Spoke to the guys at Air Impressions and they said it was common after the plane has sat idle for a while or after you go through a large temperature/pressure change. Im guessing the seal needs time to adjust or reseat? They suggested i clean up the mess and monitor on next flight. Sure enough, havent seen it since.

Not advice but thats my experience. Hope its useful.

Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.