Prop Mist Self-Fix

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Prop Mist Self-Fix

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

After the engine overhaul on the 310, the left prop left a fine mist around the nose bowls for the first oil change. Not enough to make an observable oil consumption, but enough to see. My mechanic recommended sending the prop out for overhaul/reseal, and I said we’d probably go for that but had planned trips so we’d wait until after. The props are 6 years old and had sat for 4 months during the overhaul, so not entirely a surprise.

After 25 hours, did the first oil change (with CamGuard added this time) and the seeping seems to have fixed itself. I’ve heard of this happening after a plane has sat for a bit, and CamGuard advertises that it treats old seals to reduce oil leaks.

Time will tell, but hopefully some extra use and CamGuard saved us money on the reseal/overhaul. No idea if the CamGuard really mattered, but it is interesting that the on-off switch for it seemed to be at the oil change when we added it. We are hoping to get at least another year out of both of the props before needing to send them out for any work.

Good to know. Thanks Ted.

Certainly worth a try.

Is there any downside to trying Camguard?

John Koziarski
    N31C

quote JKOZIARSKI:

Is there any downside to trying Camguard?

John Koziarski
    N31C

The $25 per bottle that is removed from your wallet. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.