Price of JP EDM960 $

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Avionics Topics Price of JP EDM960 $

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

I’m new to this organization, formally flying 2000 Malibu Mirage for past 9+ years, sold bird Sept. ’13. Have a 1979 421C in pre-buy, thinking of upgrading steam gauges to JP EDM960, got quote from service center for $30k – includes new metal panel. Wanted to see if anyone has experience with this unit and what it cost others to have installed.

Thanks

Scott Tankersley
    KFTW
    scott@anchor-roofs.com
    cell#817 . 819-4406

wow, $30K. As much as the EDM960 is cool, how do you get $30K in value from something like that? Doesn’t really give your aircraft any new capabilities that you couldn’t get from the stock gauges + adding a $6K EDM.

Brian

quote stankersley1:

I’m new to this organization, formally flying 2000 Malibu Mirage for past 9+ years, sold bird Sept. ’13. Have a 1979 421C in pre-buy, thinking of upgrading steam gauges to JP EDM960, got quote from service center for $30k – includes new metal panel. Wanted to see if anyone has experience with this unit and what it cost others to have installed.

Thanks

Scott Tankersley
    KFTW
    scott@anchor-roofs.com
    cell#817 . 819-4406

I had an EDM760, not a 960, installed. Going to look at the price.

By the way, what was the Mirage operational costs and your experience for the 9 years?

All, really like taking the old hard to read gauges and making them easy to read and more precision to tune the primeters. The original steam gauges have lost their seal and get foggy. Bird does not have fuel totalizer, EDM 960 comes standard with features not found on the original design.
    Speaking of my last ride, the Mirage, found her to be highly reliable and almost trouble free. In 1600+hrs can only think of 1 /2 trips I canceled due to mechanical issues.
    If any one has actual experience with the 960 please speak up.

quote stankersley1:

All, really like taking the old hard to read gauges and making them easy to read and more precision to tune the primeters. The original steam gauges have lost their seal and get foggy. Bird does not have fuel totalizer, EDM 960 comes standard with features not found on the original design.
    Speaking of my last ride, the Mirage, found her to be highly reliable and almost trouble free. In 1600+hrs can only think of 1 /2 trips I canceled due to mechanical issues.
    If any one has actual experience with the 960 please speak up.

Love love the Auracle 2120. No experience with EDM.

bwhiteford
    Participant

SCOTT:

We have an EDM960 in our 310R. It is a great piece of equipment. Have had it over a year and we installed it during a panel upgrade. I believe it cost around 18-20k. I already had an EDM760 and replaced it with the 960 as I wanted to get rid of the engine gauges to make room for a 6 pack on the copilot’s side. I actually removed the old wiring harnesses and replaced them with the new harnesses. I would do it all over again if given the chance. Allows me to drive lean of peak precisely saving fuel. Also it has saved us money on maintenance when we had an ignition wire fail as well as a plug loaded up with lead. Pretty simple to see which cylinder and mag is misfiring. 30k sounds a bit pricy to me. Would be happy to talk with you more if you want. Just PM me and we can work out a time to talk.

quote stankersley1:

…1979 421C in pre-buy, thinking of upgrading steam gauges to JP EDM960, got quote from service center for $30k – includes new metal panel. Wanted to see if anyone has experience with this unit and what it cost others to have installed.

If the 421C has only 2 tanks that have gauges / readouts it is $17K ( including TIT ) otherwise the 4 tank configuration of the EDM 960 is ~$17.8K (normal discount prices). Figure 30-40 hours on the low side for a shop that has experience with the EDM960 and maybe up to 100 hours for a meticulous fellow that takes a lot of coffee breaks. If this is the only change you are doing to the panel and they are only fabricating the center panel that is maybe $500 – $700. Without any major problems it seems like the number should be ~$23K.

Geoff

rwelsh
      Participant

I installed a 960 on a 303 last year. The quote was 17K installed, but the panel was being redone also for a G500 and other stuff. The new center panel should be no more then $700. There is a lot of labor to install the 960; probably 60 hours for a knowledgeable mechanic. And you have to find a place for the two control boxes someplace in the nacelle. Then you have to calibrate the fuel quantity gauges which takes some effort. That is still a lot of money to get rid of the nice round gauges-I just don’t know how we have survived for 90 years with round gauges.

I like the idea of plane (plain) old stem gauges for RPM and MP and probably oil and cyl. We have a JPI with FF. In the event of catastrophic electrical failure I would like something that works. All electronic stuff looks cool until you are forced to shut down the master switch or it shuts down for you.

In my research, and talking to both type owners, I’d invest in the Auracle 2120 over the EDM960 personally. I almost did this during my G600 upgrade but ran out of money.

I elected because of the cost to go with the new Insight G4 after talking to a few owners of the G4 that had JPI before. The G4 is a nice compromise for data tracking and TFT for EGT/CHT.

I don’t have the plane back yet but am looking forward to the G4.

Also the G4 has built in SD unit so no extra cost and simple to pop it out and put it into graphing charts.

This just the kind of information I am looking for. Thanks to all – when she’s out of prebuy and all mine I’ll be shopping around for other type systems and quotes for a better price. If I have the money I’m thinking to swap out the 530’s for GTN 750 / 650 and maybe G600. Just have to count my pennies after the training costs and other unforeseen expenses.
        Twin Cessna looks and sounds like a good org. for twin owners , I’m looking forward to meeting with fellow twin aviators.
        Thanks again.

jgrimes
        Participant

I’m considering installing the EDM960 when we overhaul the engines (next year or two). Looking forward to keeping operational fluids (oil and gasoline) out of the cockpit. Had an oil leak in the cockpit (from loose connection on pressure guage) last year. Not a big deal, just an aggravation.

Joe

Here is the panel you mentioned in a 310

Attachments:

Wow – what a panel. Looks great – is that the Auracal 2120. ? Kind of hard to see on my I phone.

Great looking panel.
          My 414 is just about done and when finished I”ll post pics.. I’m digging what we got for the budget I had.. Wanted 750 to replace my 530 but couldn’t make it work right now and spent the money on MX instead to have the plane solid and safe. I did get the G600’s and GAD43e and a good engine monitor for Phase I

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.