Plane Power Alternators

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Plane Power Alternators

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Several weeks ago I replaced my old 100 amp Prestolites with Plane Power’s recently introduced C28-150 alternators. They are rated at 150 amps, weigh about 8 lbs less, for a weight savings of 16 lbs, and are physically smaller which makes the nut at the 7:00 O’clock position a piece of cake. I have flown the 340 twice since the installation and all is well. I had also replaced the regulators(Plane Power) and now the alternators parallel as they should.
    I was told that these alternators are much longer lasting due to the oil seal design, time will only tell.
    I purchased them from Aero Tech, John Evans was very helpful and returned calls within a few hours or less, good man to do business with.

I agree…I am running Plane Power c28-150 on a C310R and it works great

Good info. I’ll have to see if they have belt-driven (probably do) for when my alternators need to be replaced.

sworley
    Participant

How much $$ to swap them in for your old ones? Saving 15 pounds, gaining 50 amps, and increasing reliability seems like an all around win.

rwelsh
      Participant

Hartzell has new 100 AMP alternators for the twin Cessnas, part number AVL9610 for $688 exchange from Aircraft Spruce. They also weight 8 pounds less, and you do not need a special wrench to get the 7 o’clock nut. In fact all 4 nuts can be taken off with a scoket and extension and without removing any baffling. The brushes can be changed if needed even with the nose bowl on. So far I have had good customer service from Hartzell which is not like their predessessor, Kelly Aerospace.

quote RWELSH:

Hartzell has new 100 AMP alternators for the twin Cessnas, part number AVL9610 for $688 exchange from Aircraft Spruce. They also weight 8 pounds less, and you do not need a special wrench to get the 7 o’clock nut. In fact all 4 nuts can be taken off with a scoket and extension and without removing any baffling. The brushes can be changed if needed even with the nose bowl on. So far I have had good customer service from Hartzell which is not like their predessessor, Kelly Aerospace.

I have this one on my right engine and your comments are spot on. Very happy with it. At this price, new is a much better deal. As I understand it, the windings and winding insulation on the aging fleet of overhauled alternators is leading to reliability issues.

Plane power makes nice stuff, very popular for experimental, etc with a good track record. That said, I was surprised at the splash shield on the gear driven alternator and I wonder how long they will hold up with rain, etc hitting it.

I think plane power makes nice alternator regulators for twins, does anyone have experience with them?

Eric

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.