Pilatus Accident ATC Recording

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Safety Issues & Accidents Pilatus Accident ATC Recording

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bthomason
    Participant

Regarding the fatal Pilatus accident that occured in Florida a few days ago:

Just up on Live ATC: http://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php

The last part of the transmission (at about 2:25 into it) includes an alert by ATC of “moderate to heavy precipitation” at the aircraft’s 12 o’clock and 2 o’clock and 30 miles distant, 30 miles in diameter.

This, of course, is not proof that the cause of the accident was a thunderstorm encounter – only that there was significant weather in the area.

From what I’ve seen the weather in the area wasn’t that bad – Certainly not bad enough to rip apart a PC-12.

The best theory I’ve seen so far is a runaway trim. It appears that the loss of control happened right about when the pilot leveled off from the climb which would be consistent with the trim pushing the nose down.

I could certainly see a case where:

– Relatively new pilot to the PC-12 and flight level flying
      – Auto pilot is set to capture an altitude
      – As it attempts to level off, there is a runaway downward trim
      – Pilot is distracted by heavy rain that he just flew into
      – Autopilot disconnects – Now you have an airplane that is pitching down violently with no electric trim and the weather’s crappy.
      – Pilot panics and yanks hard back on yoke and over stresses airplane, leading to a structural failure

Not a pretty scenario.

FYI, there have been multiple instances of runaway trims in the PC-12.

Robert

P.S. Bad year so far for owner flown SETP airplanes – The TBM in NJ and now the PC-12. So much for turbine singles being safer… Sad.

quote RCJOHNSON:

P.S. Bad year so far for owner flown SETP airplanes – The TBM in NJ and now the PC-12. So much for turbine singles being safer… Sad.

The best safety feature in any airplane is the pilot…

Big hole on the right side. Drone?

Rodolfo
      1978 C340A RAM VII

It won’t matter what engine the airplane has if the pilot is not properly trained, experienced and uses sound judgement.
      It is a sad accident though due to the children being involved.

quote DMOORE1:

It won’t matter what engine the airplane has if the pilot is not properly trained, experienced and uses sound judgement.

Dan –

From what we know (which is admittedly little), is there anything you see that says the pilot made a bad decision? Based on the radar information I’ve seen, I would have launched in a 421 for the same flight, and around the same altitude.

The radar track indicates the airplane came apart pretty quickly.

While I agree with your statement above, and it applies to the vast majority of accidents, this does not appear to be your typical new guy in the airplane syndrome…

Robert

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.