Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Destinations OSH Parking

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Looking for OSH advice: I’ve not been for more than 10 years, and am planning to go just for the day (TVC based) on 7/30. Is the GA parking (not camping) surface suitable for Twin Cessna’s (421C in my case)? I am considering trying to reserve ramp space at Basler, but would prefer to join the gang on the grass if the surface is likely OK. I’ve noted the comments from others on 3/4″ plywood for parking.

Have any of you had recent experience with the 135K/2300′ MSL VFR arrival procedure via FISK? I’m planning on the VFR arrival, but would appreciate any comments from Twin Cessna pilots on same.

Sorry Kevin, but I can’t give you any help on the day parking – best bet is likely just Bassler.

I have done the vfr hi arrival in my 421 and it wasn’t a big deal. The only thing that concerns me about that arrival is that you descend into traffic which isn’t ideal. As always, please do a little slow speed practice before you go just so you’re comfortable at 100kts or so.

Robert

I have done the 90kt 1,800ft and the 135kt 2,300ft in our B36TC Bonanza and did the 135kt 2,300ft last year in our 421. Overall I like the higher speed especially in the 421, however, in addition to Roberts concern which I share, it has never been abundantly (or even slightly, really) clear at what point you are supposed to transition from 135/2,300 down to 90/1,800. I still plan on the faster/higher approach this year but does anyone have a more clear understanding of that transition?

Over the past few years I have filed IFR from the east without a reservation. While it may not be documented, the controllers will typically try to get you lined up on the GPS 27 approach ( provided they are landing 27) and have you do a straight-in to Rwy 27. They cancel your IFR clearance about midway across the lake. I have found the service to be better at the other FBO ( Orion?).

Geoff

quote COCHRANE:

I have found the service to be better at the other FBO ( Orion?).

Geoff

Orion is gone now, I think it is all Balser now. 😡

quote COCHRANE:

Over the past few years I have filed IFR from the east without a reservation. While it may not be documented, the controllers will typically try to get you lined up on the GPS 27 approach ( provided they are landing 27) and have you do a straight-in to Rwy 27. They cancel your IFR clearance about midway across the lake. I have found the service to be better at the other FBO ( Orion?).

Geoff

How is this even possible? It would be great to do it this way but I have always assumed based on the explicit information in the NOTAM that no IFR clearance of any kind would be given without a slot reservation confirmation number which seems like more trouble than it’s worth unless arriving in actual IMC. Do you mean you just filed IFR just like you would any other time to any other airport?

Todd

Yes, that is correct – file a normal IFR flight plan to KOSH without a slot / reservation. Our local controller will normally ask if we have a slot and I tell him no. They then issue the clearance to Oshkosh. Once we get in to Muskegon approaches’ airspace they will ask again if we have a slot. I tell them no but we can go VFR if necessary. They start lining everyone up on the eastern shore of the lake then may or may not cancel the clearance midway across. If they have you lined up for and are landing Rwy 27, cancel your clearance and they will bring you in on 27 which is normally the IFR runway. The controllers bend over backwards during the week of Oshkosh and try to do everything they can. Provided the spacing requirements are VFR they try to make it fit.

I don’t know how often this works but it has worked for me for the past three years. Last year was MVFR and traffic was heavy.

quote COCHRANE:

Yes, that is correct – file a normal IFR flight plan to KOSH without a slot / reservation.

Same thing happened to me last year. I filed direct from5B2 (upstate NY) and planned to cancel and fly the vfr approach if they asked about a slot, but they didn’t ask and I didn’t offer. Flew the GPS 27 approach to a high ceiling. Worked great.

My guess is that they give larger airplanes more leeway here. I heard several single engine guys get turned away…

Robert

rwelsh
    Participant

We used to spend the night at Portage (C47) which is about 35 miles SW of OSH. We would leave Portage about 8:00am and get to FISK 20 minutes later, and there is almost no one at Rush Lake or Fisk so you don’t have to mix it up with the slow planes, especially if they are landing on 36. Get to Fisk, turn right on the East -West road until lined up with 36. Or follow the RR tracks to the Blue water tower and turn downwind for 27. Be sure to read the NOTAM and have your signs premade in big letters.

My OSH plans for this year are gone.. 😥 I did the VFR Fisk 90 kt arrival in my 310 and it worked great. I saw several Twin Cessnas including 421’s parked on the grass last year. If I were going just for the day I would probably still park in the grass….So much FUN ! I printed big letter signs for my bird and went to Kinkos to laminate them. Worked great. Had one for GAC, general aviation camping, and one with VFR on one side and IFR on the other for the departure. That way if the weather went down I could file and get out. VFR departure last year was really cool. Two planes at a time, one on each half of the runway…..neat ! I wish I could go….bummer.

Thanks to all for your OSH comments. Lots of good advice. For now, we’ve got a Basler ramp spot res’d ($25 for the day) which may be handy if the ground is wet. I am happy to report back post flight if any of you would like an update on our experience.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.