New to Cessna 310

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Buying a Twin Cessna New to Cessna 310

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello to all, my name is Jeff Carl and I just got my 310 this week. A 1960, D model, N6933T. Purchased from Paul Lindholm, also a twin cessna member here. Paul & Lisa had 33T for about 10 years & took very good care of this airplane. I plan on continuing that fine tradition. (Hey Paul if you see this, thanks for leaving your Mastercard in the glove box!) While the airplane looks sharp & has a nice interior, it is the instrument panel & avionics that are really outstanding.

I also fly a ’68 Viking (“at home in the air”) and just love that airplane. Prior to the Viking, a Stinson 108-2 for 21 years, also a great airplane (“the aircraft standard of the world”). The 310 opens up a new chapter in my flying experience. Looking forward to that & will share the adventure here as I can.

I have poked around & appreciate the postings. Being a green-horn I have a lot to learn, so thanks for your sharing.

Jeff

ps Don’t yell at me, he’s only outside waiting to go in for annual; yes there is a hangar.

Attachments:

Welcome Jeff….I hope you have as much fun with your twin as I do with mine…

I too wish to welcome you aboard. A twin cessna is a thing of great beauty, and even more so when you provide the TLC to your own ship.

You can’t beat the cost of membership in this organization. The wealth of knowledge in the Tech Staff is unmatched in any other organization. If you own a Twin Cessna membership here will more than pay for itself. Hope you enjoy the aircraft. It has a nice clean looking panel.

You will really LOVE your 310. What’s your mission? Long trips? Local flying for $300 hamburgers! :mrgreen:

They are great travelling machines!

Thank you all for posting your welcome messages. As of friday 12/17 we are probably better that half way through the annual. So far so good. My immediate mission is to get the annual done & make a few minor improvements. After that, the ME rating would be nice. Then after that maybe a few $300 burgers; I hope for 300 they throw in the fries & a coke.

I’ll post the annual story when it’s done in the Maintenance Issues section.

Thanks
    jeff

JCarl,

Wow! What a small world. I recently purchased a 1960 310D also but the tail number is off by 3! I have 6930T. Man I absolutely love flying this plane. The plane had a front gear failure before I purchased it. I flew it back to California all the way form South Carolina on a ferry permit with the gear locked down. Since then we took out the entire landing gear and had it rebuilt, repaired the skins and did a lot of anti-corrosion treatments to the internal skins. Performance of the plane has never skipped a beat. The only issue I have have recently ran into is the propeller control cable has bound up. One of the Teleflex swivel assemblies caught the cable. I am currently in the process of fixing this issue. Well, enjoy your plane. I am sure it will bring you many wonderful memories.

Take Care,

Mav

Hi Mav
    That’s interesting. While at annual a local pilot stopped in & said that he used to own one that was only 5 or six numbers away. So when the nose gear failed what happened? Did they land all up or with mains down, and was there prop damage? Just wondering what would happen under those circumstances. Post a photo for us too. Glad to hear you are enjoying your D model!

jeff

Jeff,

The intermediate drive tube actually bend due to the nut plate holding the idler bellcranck being stripped. During the rigging process (and in “Rig it right” video, which I highly recommend purchasing from this site) points out very specifically to make sure it is tight. If not tighten, if it wont tighten then replace. My plane was not maintained very well. To check that bolt it is as simple as lifting the carpet right in front of pilot’s petals and lifting the inspection plug button. I believe it is step no. 24 in the Rig it right manual. The plane was put down on the mains with both engines off (one had to be bumped to get the props horizontal). There were passengers in the rear seats so that help with keeping the nose off the ground as long as possible. As the speed bled off it nosed over and came to a grinding halt. The damage was limited to the nose gear doors (all three), the nose cone and both front skins. Most of the damage was pretty minor with the skins and doors taking all the abuse. Luckily the structure did not sustain any damage. A local maintenance shop jacked up the plane and locked down all three of the gears. That is pretty much how I purchased her. I flew a long cross country to get it home in California with the gears down and a 140 Vle restriction. Fun flight none the less. Once we were back home, upon inspection of the landing gear the choice was made to rebuild the entire landing gear and a through annual was preformed. Up it went on the jacks and six weeks later…it was wheels up! And I have been in love with it ever since. Oh the other thing I was faced with was the poor condition of the paint on the top side of the aircraft. So after looking at the plane I decided to strip the paint on the top side, leading edges, and above the center stripe on the fuselage and polish it. The paint removal and polishing has far been the most time consuming process so far. I owned a fully polished RV-4 a few years ago and I love the look. I hope to have the mirror finish in a month or so. I will keep you updated. The interior of the airplane had been redone some time ago but is in pretty good condition.

I just ran into one issue with the propeller control cable. The area where it runs right next to the exhaust is the problem area. My mechanic and I were able to free the cable from the conduit and found the grease clumped up around the cable. Over time it builds up, if not greased periodically, to the point where it binds up in the tube. It felt a little tighter during the last flight but it still operated well. I believe once the a tube cooled off the metal shrinks and basically clamped down on the cable where the gunk built up. I went back the other night to check propeller control lever before I was to do a long cross country and found it stuck. We were able to isolate the problem area pretty quickly and start the extraction process. Man, we tried a lot of option to get the cable to move, but nothing worked. Finally I thought if the cable moved when the exhaust was at operating temperature then it needed some heat. So, about 10 second of heating up the metal the tube finally slid off and reviled the gunk on the cable. The cable has been cleaned thoroughly and re-greased and is working properly.

You will love flying your bird…..the performance is always rock solid. Sky is the limit, I could not be happier with the purchase. I love every minute I am around it. Stay in touch with your progress.

Take Care,
    Mav

Attachments:

Hi Mav
    You got a lot done pretty quickly. Who ever landed had good presence of mind to limit the damage. As for polishing, I once had a friend (long story there) who had a twin Beech, all aluminum no paint. There were always guys out there polishing on that thing to get a ride. Of course a twin Beech has a million square feet to polish. Thanks for posting the photos.

jeff

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.