New Superior Millenium cylinders

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues New Superior Millenium cylinders

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have experience or an opinion on the new Millenium standard cast cylinders?

No experience with Millenium’s but I just installed 3 new Nickle cylinders from RAM and they seem to be working great.

Thanks for your response. I think RAM uses ECI Titans, new production, “J heads” they’re called, IIRC. I’ve been told that RAM is happy with them.

I’ll likely be in the market for 12 TSIO-520-EB cylinders later this year. Looking at all options including buying AD-free overhauls (Mine cannot be overhauled and re-installed). Looks like, among new cylinder choices, SAP offers the cheapest option.

Rich,
    I mis-stated my post a bit…my cylinders were overhauled, not new. I paid $1,100 each and they came with a reconditioned rocker arms but everything else was new including the pistons and pins.

quote PVANHELDEN:

Rich,
    I mis-stated my post a bit…my cylinders were overhauled, not new. I paid $1,100 each and they came with a reconditioned rocker arms but everything else was new including the pistons and pins.

Thanks. That price is about what Airpower gets for new Milleniums, I think, but I’ll be talking to RAM when the time comes.

We put 12 new ECi Titans on the 310 at the overhaul, which I suppose was about 40 hours ago. So far so good. The previous owner had the previous gen ECi cylinders on his RAM T310R, found 10 out of 12 were cracked at ~500 SMOH. Warranty paid for I think 40% of a new set of 12. Hopefully these new ones are better.

Don’t know if this will help.We put 12 new Millenium cylinders on an Aztec (IO540), they lasted about 750 hrs before we needed a top overhaul. At 1000 hrs we needed another top. The cylinders were shot. Ended up replacing all the cylinders with new OEM. We have 1500 hrs on the OEM cylinders and going strong. I would not use Millenium cylinders.

Thanks for your input! MIne are late 90’s production Milleniums and have gone to very near TBO — none have ever been off the engines. Compressions 60’s-70’s, using a qt. of oil in 10-12 hours. Gotta replace at TBO per AD 🙄 I’m thinking I’ll stay away from new Milleniums since there isn’t much “history” yet.

quote JMCCABE:

Don’t know if this will help.We put 12 new Millenium cylinders on an Aztec (IO540), they lasted about 750 hrs before we needed a top overhaul. At 1000 hrs we needed another top. The cylinders were shot. Ended up replacing all the cylinders with new OEM. We have 1500 hrs on the OEM cylinders and going strong. I would not use Millenium cylinders.

That is almost exactly my history on the Aztec’s left engine, except mine went bad at 650 SNEW, and then I replaced them with factory new right off the bat. Then sold the plane.

I’ve heard that, when it comes to Continentals, Superior used to be the best. Hard to say anymore. Almost 50 hours on our new ECi Titans – if we have problems now, then we’re in for a long 2000 hours… Or maybe that’s short? 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.