Nacelle Tank Flow Switch

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Nacelle Tank Flow Switch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rstanley
    Participant

Hi All
      Happy Memorial Day !!!
      Does anybody know where I can get a Nacelle Tank Flow Switch rebuilt for a C340A ?
      Thanks for any ideas.
      Cheers
      Richard

rwelsh
      Participant

Richard, what is the flow switch? Do you mean the switch that turns on the light when the pressure drops?

rstanley
        Participant

Yes that is it

Have you tried cleaning it out? Does it work electrically? Does it always not work, or just sometimes? Are you sure it does not work? I assume the light works and comes on when tested?

rwelsh
          Participant

Richard, it is probably a low pressure switch which are sometimes sealed. I would disconnect the two wires from the switch and put an ohmmeter across the two wires. If it is working, you should have continuity as there is no/low pressure on teh switch which should make the connection to turn the light on. I do not have my wiring diagrams nearby so I don’t know it the light on the annunciator panel is turned on with a ground or with power. The light doesn’t work unless the nacelle tank pump switch is on so I would assume the annunicator light need 28 volts to make it light, but it could be the other a\way around. Either way, the low pressure switch should be closed when there is no pressure or low pressure so the continutiy test should tell you if the switch is working or not. If you put some shop air on the switch, then there should be no continuity. If the switch is working correctly, then you have wiring problems or a plug at the switch or before in the pressure line.

If the switch is bad, the auto ot truck parts store may have one, the only question being what is the PSI the switch should react on. The PSI valve of teh switch may have it stamped on the switch.
            Dick Welsh

rstanley
            Participant

Dick
              Thanks for your help.
              The REAL problem with this switch is accessibility. You have to remove some “skin” to access it.
              I will try your suggestions when I am ready to “open up the can”.
              Richard

rwelsh
              Participant

Richard, just where is the pressure switch located? I never looked into where Cessna hid it.
                Dick Welsh

rstanley
                Participant

I am not sure but near the nacelle however my mechanic tells me that some “skin” has to be removed.

cochrane
                  Participant
                    quote RSTANLEY:

I am not sure but near the nacelle however my mechanic tells me that some “skin” has to be removed.

For S/N 340A0200 and beyond, you can access this switch through the lower wing inspection panel(s) outboard of the engine. To remove the switch, disconnect the 3/8″ fuel transfer line and nut in the outboard compartment. The switch is then loose in the inner compartment – the other side of the switch is connected to a flexible fuel line. You can probably pull this line and the switch out without removing the transfer pump but the job would be easier if you remove the pump first. I wouldn’t call it readily accessible but you can get to it. To remove and re-install the switch it should be less than 2 hours. If you want a picture of the pump / switch compartment I have one.

I provided incorrect information to you on another forum regarding the switch. Cessna used an inexpensive pressure switch (normally closed) on S/N up to ‘200. That switch ‘could’ be replaced with a N.C. pressure switch ( 2 – 7 PSI). However, later S/Ns, and likely yours, moved the transfer pump and pressure switch behind the engine firewall and changed to a flow-through pressure switch – the $2,600 version of a $40 switch. I haven’t found a reasonable replacement but the original was manufactured by Pressure Controls Inc., P/N ON-1.

Both versions of the pressure switch are normally closed and supply +28volts to the annunciator panel from the power feed to the pump.

rstanley
                    Participant

Thanks again for that detailed info.
                      Yes I would like to see a pic of the pump and switch compartment.
                      Thanks
                      Richard

cochrane
                      Participant

The attached file has the best shots that I have – hope this helps.

Geoff

Attachments:

rstanley
                        Participant

Thanks
                          That should help ALOT !!

rwelsh
                          Participant

Geoff, that was great info and a great picture. Thanks for making the forum such a useful tool.
                            Dick Welsh

cochrane
                            Participant

I did some research with the manufacturer and found that this switch is manufactured for O&N Aircraft. They apparently re-sell it to Cessna et.al. O&N sells it for $180 (Jim @ O&N 570-945-3769). I assume that O&N has the PMA. That sounds like a reasonable price. The manufacturer said it is slightly different from their standard model ($99).

Geoff

rstanley
                              Participant

Geoff
                                Thanks for the heads up
                                I appreciate your extra effort
                                Regards
                                Richard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.