Home 2024 Forums Opening Section General Topics My new DA42

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Its a 2006 DA42 that is being freshened with new exterior, new leather interior, factory new 2.0 L Theilerts and overhauled props. It has approx 750 hrs on airframe and is well equipped with FIKI TKS, G1000, GDL69A, Stromscope, Long range fuel tanks, and VG’s.

I have about 150 hrs of DA42 time and expect 165 – 170 KTAS depending on altitude at 9 – 11 gph total fuel burn.

I loved my 414 but early this year my mission took a big change as I was elected as a Director of a large company based out of Calgary, AB (here’s link if anyone is interested -http://ufa.com/aboutUFA/directors.html). A large percentage of my flights will now be solo and under 200 nm. My experience in the DA42 shows that it is the best fit for my new mission:
    – almost 20 mpg
    – all weather’ish
    – burns Jet A which is a huge savings with my Colt card, over $2/gal cheaper than 100LL in my area
    – can easily perform out of less than 3000 ft
    – still fast and roomy enough to take family on trips

I hope to pick up early June.

Here’s a W&B, remember that 245lbs of fuel keeps the plane in the air for 3 hrs.

The biggest advantage to the DA42 is being diesel powered. We could get better efficiency out of our engines with improved cylinder designs and higher compression, but the manufacturers just won’t do it. So I see the next big change to be diesel engines getting STC’d on. I figure the 23-28 (or as low as 20) GPH we get in the 310 right now would be down to around 14-18. My general assumption is that our planes won’t be candidates for diesel engine STCs until the time frame when these engines we just put on would wear out.

It looks like a very nice plane – hope you enjoy it!

My question would be … How do those engines/airplane perform at my airport on a warm afternoon? 😉

quote RCLOVER:

My question would be … How do those engines/airplane perform at my airport on a warm afternoon? 😉

At 30*C, 7000′ at full gross it shows about 2,400 ft of grd roll, and that is without the VG’s that I have installed.
    Here’s the charts

quote TDUPUIS:

The biggest advantage to the DA42 is being diesel powered. We could get better efficiency out of our engines with improved cylinder designs and higher compression, but the manufacturers just won’t do it. So I see the next big change to be diesel engines getting STC’d on. I figure the 23-28 (or as low as 20) GPH we get in the 310 right now would be down to around 14-18. My general assumption is that our planes won’t be candidates for diesel engine STCs until the time frame when these engines we just put on would wear out.

It looks like a very nice plane – hope you enjoy it!

Thanks

There was a diesel powered Duke that is or almost was certified, it you google it should show up. The fuel burn is only part of the value, with a contract card Jet A is $2/gal cheaper than 100LL at many of my stops.

Jet A is typically cheaper than 100LL these days in the US as well.

I’ve seen the diesel Duke, it is a neat concept. I also don’t like thielert engines from having worked with them in the past, but I think the SMA has promise. My friends and I have talked about a Duramax conversion, which I think would work well for a 421. I think the FADEC is a nice benefit as well.

I think that takeoff, landing and accelerate/stop ground rolls, here, are typically about double those at sea level. Standard temperature is near freezing so anything above that puts the density altitude above field elevation. +30degC and 7000 pressure altitude puts the DA at 10,217 feet. I’m curious as to the DA42 single engine service ceiling. Most normally-aspirated twins have approximate ceilings of 7000′ with notable exceptions near half that.

Sorry, I have little knowledge of the DA42. Looks like a great airplane! I’m especially intrigued by the FIKI TKS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_DA42

Enjoy! And don’t let anyone put in avgas by mistake!

quote RCLOVER:

I think that takeoff, landing and accelerate/stop ground rolls, here, are typically about double those at sea level. Standard temperature is near freezing so anything above that puts the density altitude above field elevation. +30degC and 7000 pressure altitude puts the DA at 10,217 feet. I’m curious as to the DA42 single engine service ceiling. Most normally-aspirated twins have approximate ceilings of 7000′ with notable exceptions near half that.

Sorry, I have little knowledge of the DA42. Looks like a great airplane! I’m especially intrigued by the FIKI TKS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_DA42

Enjoy! And don’t let anyone put in avgas by mistake!

Thanks Rich!

Ground roll at ISA is just under 1200 ft so your quick formula works well!
    Yes I have sent back 100LL trucks several times in my old DA42, I have never read a report that it has caused a crash by mis-fueling but high potential!
    At max weight ISA the SE ceiling is 8,000 ft and at lighter weights it goes up to 10,000 ft.
    The TKS FIKI works well, as long as you don’t run out of fluid.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.