Maybe new engine time…

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Maybe new engine time…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Well, my Osh plans just got shot. Returned home today from an Alaska cruise to a message from my mechanic – fairly large case crack. This is on the older of my two engines and I’ve already repaired a crack in it once (different location). I’m not exactly confident in this case now and am seriously thinking about a new motor instead of another repair.

So, what are my options? RAM at $56k per the website, or Continental looks to be in the mid $50s for a rebuilt engine as well and I don’t think I will get any grief from them on a case.

Pros/cons of each?

Any clue what continental’s turnaround time is?

Other options/thoughts? I would like to get the airplane flying as soon as practical (Osh isn’t going to happen) so an overhaul is probably out…

Also, I don suppose anyone is heading from the upstate ny area to Osh Wednesday to Sunday are they?!

Robert

And just after you posted how you were hoping to go past TBO… 🙁

I’d look seriously at a Continental reman at this point. I had my engines done by Zephyr in Florida, and they did great work. I also don’t know if they do GTSIOs, but if I had a case crack I would’ve done a reman. My cases were new at the last overhaul, so they’re only 2400 hour cases now, 7-stud.

You said upstate NY so I’m guessing you’re not in Addison, but I have a friend flying up from Addison in his T206H who might have room.

IO-520’s were 6 weeks from TCM (a month ago)

quote TDUPUIS:

And just after you posted how you were hoping to go past TBO… 🙁

Yeah, I’m quite aware of the irony… 😥

Robert

I am happy with my factory new GTSIOs – now 2.5 years and 300 hours. One starter adapter was bad (gear rubbing on the housing) – but that was smoothly covered under warranty.

When I was investigating options for my double engine swap (scheduled), I was scared of Ram engines because there is no way to know how many hours are on the cases. I figured that low-time cases must be a pretty small percentage of the core pool at this stage.

Will CMI give you a new case on a reman? Give James Towle a call at CMI.

If you can’t get a new case on a reman, in the grand scheme of 421C expenses, the upcharge from reman to new did not seem exorbitant.

Sorry for your downtime.

Thanks Dan – I just called and left him a message.

I’d prefer a Continental engine as well (likely reman) instead of RAM… Prices seem the same, but I’m worried about lead time. If it’s 6 weeks from Continental or 3 days from RAM that may skew my decision.

I’ll keep everyone updated.

Robert

6 weeks vs 3 days feels like a lot now, especially with travel planned, but is relatively small compared to the 10+ years the engine will likely live. Of course, if you have important travel planned, understood that compromises must be made sometimes.

sworley
    Participant

What is the significance of going from a RAM engine to a factory in a 421? Does the green arc of the engine shrink to 32.5″? What is the significance of that if anything?

The Ram 35″ climb STC is a paperwork-only STC: nothing is changed other than the green arc on the gauge.

I have the 35″ STC and it is based on the airframe serial #; i.e. I did not need a new STC from Ram when I switched from my old CMI remans to my factory new engines.

Thanks for help guys – I ended up going with Continental. They have been great supporters of the Twin Cessna fleet recently, and I enjoyed spending time with them in Mobile when we did the factory tour.

$54,176 for a reman without an alternator (mine is relatively new) with a 4 week lead time. I looked at RAM but I didn’t have a great experience with them when I did the engine on my 210 and I suspect they would hit me with a core charge. I have in writing from Continental that they know about the crack and there will be no extra charges.

James was great to work with.

On the STC for 35″: I don’t have the STC, but routinely climb at 35″. There’s no restriction from doing so, and in fact the engine’s rated to run a full power continuously. I’m pretty sure the airplane doesn’t know that there’s extra green paint on the MP gauge…

Now I just need to figure out Osh… Anyone coming back towards Dallas on Sunday?!

Robert

quote RCJOHNSON:

On the STC for 35″: I don’t have the STC, but routinely climb at 35″. There’s no restriction from doing so, and in fact the engine’s rated to run a full power continuously. I’m pretty sure the airplane doesn’t know that there’s extra green paint on the MP gauge…

You clearly never heard about this B-17 pilot who climbed outside of the green arc:

(I couldn’t agree with you more)

I know someone with 2 factory reman GTSIO engines with 5-600 hours on them. I think they can be bought for 20-25k outright with accessories. Let me know if your interested.

rwelsh
      Participant

Robert, Darryl Greenamyer has 2 GTSIO engines that supposedly had a prop strike. $5 K each complete with all accessories including turbo. Email address below.
        george13d@verizon.net

Hmm… at $5k each, they’d look good on the 310… 😀

quote RWELSH:

Robert, Darryl Greenamyer has 2 GTSIO engines that supposedly had a prop strike. $5 K each complete with all accessories including turbo. Email address below.
        george13d@verizon.net

Thanks Dick and Sandy.

I’ve gone ahead and ordered the new engine from Continental, but have also contacted Darryl – Curious about those engines and may take a look to have one as a “spare”.

Robert

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.