Looking for Feedback on Dollars and Sense Articles

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section General Topics Looking for Feedback on Dollars and Sense Articles

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

As you all may have noticed, in the past two issues of the TTCF magazine I’ve been writing articles in a series called “Dollars and Sense,” aimed at helping owners reduce costs with our Twin Cessnas. I’m focusing on engines since they are one of the biggest areas of expense, and I know the most in that area. This most recent issue was the controversial topic of Lean of Peak, and next month is going past TBO. The first month I had general practices.

I haven’t received a ton of feedback and am interested in honest opinions so far. Is this useful? Not? Too impractical? Exactly what you’ve been looking for?

Your responses will help with the 4th (and final) article in the series.

I think the articles are great. I might have a slightly altered point of view because for me, you are generally preaching to the choir. I’ve had the opportunity to talk to you outside of this forum via email, on other forums, and also face to face. I think that most of our flying and aircraft ownership philosophies are very similar.

I’ve flown my Aztec’s LOP for years with nothing but good results, even when other Lycoming personnel scowl (until you show them where the mixture curve falls for the economy power setting chart in their own engine operating manuals).

Your “fly with spares” comment hit very close to home after finding myself stranded one early Friday morning in Las Vegas with a bad mag but a full bag of tools and a capable mechanic. The replacement mag had to be assembled in Tulsa, overnighted to Vegas for early morning Saturday delivery so I could make it back to WI by Saturday evening. Nothing about this ended up being inexpensive. I made up my mind then and there to carry more spare parts than practical or logical. This was before your first article came out.

Keep up the good work.

As someone who is a newbie I would love to have read a ROP article advocating for the other side.

quote mchien1:

As someone who is a newbie I would love to have read a ROP article advocating for the other side.

That’s an excellent point. Bob had originally talked about having a counterpoint article when he and I talked about the idea.

Keep the feedback coming! 🙂

Ted,

I have enjoyed and learned from your articles. I think one of the best ways to maximize the maintenance and operations dollar is knowledge.

Your articles are good and I look forward to reading your next one. Thanks for contributing.

Jim

rwelsh
    Participant

Ted, as JburnsIII said, for me you are preaching to the choir also, but I have found over 45 years of working and flying these things, most pilots spend way too much money on non-essential problems and the dire shortage of knowledgeable A&P makes the cost factor worse. What bothers me most is pilots spend too much money chasing problems and operational costs, and then get out of aviation because of the excess cost. Your article on LOP brought the cost question into more focus. As someone suggested, I would like to see an article on pro ROP ops so I could at least critique that whereas your LOP ideas were right on.

Ted,

I enjoyed reading the article on LOP ops, and it continued to make me a believer. I flew my Debonair for 3 years LOP just as the previous owner had done, and I was able to maintain the same results as he did. The only downside that I saw from it was that I was only flying slower, but was able to extend my range allowing me to go further on less fuel. So essentially the time difference usually was a non-issue. The biggest advantage I saw was the overall health of my cylinders and valves. After compiling over 770hrs at LOP, the Jugs and valves showed minimal wear, and my mechanic was sure that if I kept running as I did, I would most likely make it to TBO without a need for a Top overhaul.

Now that I have sold the Deb and am in the market for a 310, I will be definitely looking to upgrade to GAMI’s, & a good engine monitor to run LOP.

Keep the articles coming. For those of us on the military pay system, we need all the help we can get to keep the costs down.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the feedback. We operate our 310 owned by a non-profit, so we need to keep costs down, too.

Next month will be article 4, my wrap-up. My hope was that some Others could write about areas they know more about for saving money. My expertise is engines from my time at Lycoming. I still have much to learn on the airframe side. I’d like to do an owner-assisted annual this year, but we’ll see if that works out. I’m not sure I’ll have enough vacation time. I do owner-assisted maintenance between annuals, though.

Ted, I found both of your articles very enlightening and appreciate you taking the time to educate our members.

Jeff

Excellent insight, Ted. Thank you!

jreynolds
      Participant

Ted,

I have enjoyed reading your articles on cost saving opportunities with Twin Cessnas. Costs of operation will continue to rise over time as goes with the economy, therefore I think this is a great column that should continue on past your contribution. Even if it’s a smaller column of member driven ideas that are posted monthly, this is a great topic that would be beneficial to all TTCF members.

Thanks for your helpful knowledge in cost efficient operations of Twin Cessnas.

JR

Hi Ted,

Received the October issue in the mail on Friday and just finished your last article.

In the article you refer to EGT/TIT limit. I know I have an TIT limit of 1650 and prefer around 1600. I’ve never really heard of an EGT limit, just a temp from peak etc. My LH engine peaks at about 1640 EGT on number 3, my RH engine peaks at 1680 on number 3. So a bit of difference.

You note 1550, which would mean I am well LOP on my RH engine, I’d say I would not even get there.

Thanks, great articles

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The real point in my article was goals, rather than limits. 1550F is my personal goal for both EGT and TIT. Limits are put in there because exceeding them will cause damage, goals are more for longevity. Goals may not be attainable depending on your power settings, etc.

My point was not that if you run higher you will destroy your engine, just that those are what I look for in order to get maximum life. It seems a number of TTCF owners get good lives and reliability running LOP at 1600F or so, so it seems experience would indicate that’s an acceptable number.

Thanks for the feedback!

I like the articles! Yes I might know some of it but it’s good to hear again and get me thinking I’m not nuts trying to save some money and not be at safeties expense.

Rocky

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.