Looking for advice on selling

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Buying a Twin Cessna Looking for advice on selling

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I am considering the purchase of a twin Cessna; and have found information on this forum to be very helpful on the purchase side. In preparation for such a purchase, I would like to ask members for advice on selling my existing Piper Dakota. For example: Is it generally recommended to go through a broker? If so, how do you go about finding a reputable broker? Any other advice that members can provide on the sell side would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

First things first, Tom…. I’d figure out what it’s worth in today’s market. AOPA valuation service could be a start, although it’s usually a little high. If your local FBO has a blue book, they may help. Remember, the prices you see in trade-a-plane are “asking” prices, not necessarily market value.

I’d list it on the AOPA classifieds, barnstormer, trade-a-plane, notes on FBO bulletin boards. List it with a broker after you have a go at it.

You’ll need to write up a spec sheet and take some pics. Read through some ads to see how the better ones are written. You know, the ones that get your attention and answer your questions up front.

Hope this helps a little and good luck!

I agree that you might want to list it on your own as it can save (or possibly cost you) money. The only pitfalls are that are difficult for the seller is the negotiation phase and the pre purchase. It is easy to make emotional decisions at this point rather than the most logical decision. For these reasons it is sometimes better to use a broker who can play hard ball with buyers. Remember buyers want the airplane as much as you want to sell it. If you have a premium Dakota then it should bring a premium price.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.