Just started annual on 414

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Just started annual on 414

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

This is our first annual on the 414 and I’m sure that I will have lots of questions but first one is

1 – do both front (crew) seats need to come out?

Thanks

Doug,

Not sure what is required. Every annual at my shop, all the seats are out, including the pilot/co-pilot. And they don’t stop there either, all the floor panels come out too. I take a deep breath when I see it all exposed!
    Jim

quote DTHOMPSON:

This is our first annual on the 414 and I’m sure that I will have lots of questions but first one is

1 – do both front (crew) seats need to come out?

Thanks

The seats, carpet, floor board, after refreshment area/lav, all non-fuel access panels come out. They should have a good system of keeping these parts organized.

Did they give you an estimate of how many hours?

You might want to invest in a stainless steel screw kit for the non-structural access panels as the screws get torn up over time.

The big “gates” are engine compression/filter (boroscope too), gear swings, corrosion inspection, exhaust inspection, brakes, cable tensions, windshield attach.

The online store has the annual inspection checklist available for 10 bucks. https://www.twincessna.org/OnLineStore.htm The troubleshooting and owning a twin cessna guides are good too.

I would suggest having them remove the battery and put it on a charger for the duration of the annual (as easy to drain it flat with lights, etc)

Eric

As others have said, everything should come out. I’ve never seen an annual on any airplane where every seat and all interior components didn’t come out.

quote EPANNING:

The big “gates” are engine compression/filter (boroscope too), gear swings, corrosion inspection, exhaust inspection, brakes, cable tensions, windshield attach.

[…]

I would suggest having them remove the battery and put it on a charger for the duration of the annual (as easy to drain it flat with lights, etc)

I believe later 414’s have the hydraulic gear – If yours does, I’d recommend testing the nitrogen blown down system as well. Bleed some air off of the N bottle so it’s not at full pressure and doesn’t put too much pressure on the system first, however.

During my first annual I requested to be there for the blow down just to see how it worked (and we found the main N line had a hole in it!), and I also wanted to open the emergency exit just to see how hard it was to open.

I also echo Eric’s point about the battery. It should be removed to inspect for acid leakage and corrosion around the batter box.

Robert

At last! A flying video with good music! Have a bit of time on T28s, but our film normally showed things exploding, and were in black and white only.

quote RLORETTO:

At last! A flying video with good music! Have a bit of time on T28s, but our film normally showed things exploding, and were in black and white only.

I think we crossed threads here, but I’m OK with that!

Can I ask where you had your T28 time?

Robert

Thanks to everyone for there replies and great advice!
    I work with my mechanic so I’m pretty much done getting everything opened up. I figured that crew seats needed to come out but wanted to check before I got them out.
    So far all is going well 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.