J B Air Conditioning System C414

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues J B Air Conditioning System C414

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,

I’m operating a C414 that had a JB Air Conditioning system installed back in 1983. It is an electrically driven system that has gone through regular maintenance since its original install (aside from a compressor change out in the mid 90’s). We have had this 414 for bout 4 months now and the A.C. system has worked great until recently. The system blows cool air, but will pop the primary CB every so often (both in flight and on the ground regardless of overall electrical load). The mechanics at my local maintenance are going to troubleshoot this week, but I was wondering if anybody has heard of a similar problem with this system and perhaps could provide some insight.

Also, is JB now operated under Keith Air in Texas or am I mistaken for something else?

Thanks

quote GBrodnansky1:

Hey guys,

I’m operating a C414 that had a JB Air Conditioning system installed back in 1983. It is an electrically driven system that has gone through regular maintenance since its original install (aside from a compressor change out in the mid 90’s). We have had this 414 for bout 4 months now and the A.C. system has worked great until recently. The system blows cool air, but will pop the primary CB every so often (both in flight and on the ground regardless of overall electrical load). The mechanics at my local maintenance are going to troubleshoot this week, but I was wondering if anybody has heard of a similar problem with this system and perhaps could provide some insight.

Also, is JB now operated under Keith Air in Texas or am I mistaken for something else?

Thanks

Hi, if the breaker is popping – some possibles are the freon system has too much freon, or the motor brushes in the fan’s etc are failing. How much electrical noise do you hear on the com with the AC running, and has it changed?

You can also check for corroded connections (especially ground wires)

How many times has the breaker tripped? After you find the problem, I suggest replacing the breaker.

Eric

Eric,

There is excessive background noise on the com with the AC turned on. It hasn’t changed from what I’ve noticed since we first got the airplane, but because of the time of year, I had been using the AC a lot more when the CB problem started.

I agree on changing the CB once the problem is located. It has popped approximately 6 times over the last 2 months I would guestimate. I don’t use the system now from a safety stand point.

Electrical systems are not my strong suit. What does the interference noise over the comm indicate?

jwarrington
    Participant

Eric,
      I just had to replace the breaker in my system.
      Expensive item. 600.00 plus labor .
      There is probably a cause to the tripping .
      Mine was the electric motor.
      That is we’re the real expense is.
      Pm if you want.
      Jack

Jack, The electric motor makes sense. I think as brushes, etc wear you can end up with a running short that can pop breakers. Thanks for sharing. How much was the motor?

You tend to get more electrical noise in the comms as the motor wears because the spark between the carbon brush and copper stator makes more noise.

Eric

jwarrington
      Participant

Eric,
        Sorry for delay
        Didn’t see your reply.
        Keith wants 6k new 2400.00 for rebuilt motor.
        Jack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.