it,s about time c421

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues it,s about time c421

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Six months after purchase of my 1979 421c it is finally out of the shop and in my hangar.
    one new ram engine, radio work ,auto pilot repairs,A/c repairs ,deice boots,and duct repair and various other repairs to
    include 6 pages of maintenance logs . My check book is empty ,no money for fuel,and no friends brave enough to fly
    with me guess I,ll get me a sign find a high traffic corner and hope to collect enough donAtion to attend
    SIM-com . Sure is costly and timely to become a 421 driver. I should have studied the forum about pre-
    purchase inspections. Oh what the heck For Sale one cessna 421c for sale fresh annual,. Bring your own pilot

gthornton

rwelsh
    Participant

I have said numerous times on different forums, the cheaper airplane is not usually the cheapest once things get brought up to snuff. Even expensive planes can cost a bundle if not looked at closely enough. This is especially true of turbine equipment as their engines and some accessories are so expensive.

Even the best airplanes have problems. I was talking to Tony one time about an annual we had and I asked if he thought the next would be better. His reply is that with old airplanes it is always something. Ask your self what is there to replace them in price, comfort and efficiency. Sure a single engine turboprop would come close but the purchase price is 1M or better.
      Why not consider one of the excellent training companies that are involved with this organization.

Daniel, I would consider a member instructor but my insurance has required Sim-com or a recognized (with them)

company. Iam going to Dallas to Sim con .The simulator is a motion machine I guess. What ever that means.

gthornton

quote GTHORNTON:

Daniel, I would consider a member instructor but my insurance has required Sim-com or a recognized (with them)

company. Iam going to Dallas to Sim con .The simulator is a motion machine I guess. What ever that means.

gthornton

SimCom Dallas has a fixed base and motion base 421. The fixed base is cheaper and I suspect gives you the same experience as the motion base. I was there a few weeks ago and booked the non motion FTD, but was hoping to get a ride in the motion – unfortunately it was broken the days I was there so I didn’t get a chance.

If our looking to save some money, use the non motion sim and save some $.

Robert

The fact of the matter is that if the owner wants to fly his airplane he can. If you want the sim time that is fine and there are benefits to that, but in some cases owners prefer the airplane. In those cases where that is the case the owner in coop with your broker can approach the underwriter with the request. There are many underwriters out there and most if not all will allow training to be done in a piston twin rather than a “SIM” (actually they are Flight Training Devices). My company (and probably many of the other member instructors) has approvals from nearly all of the underwriters to perform initial and recurrent training in the aircraft.

quote DMOORE1:

The fact of the matter is that if the owner wants to fly his airplane he can. If you want the sim time that is fine and there are benefits to that, but in some cases owners prefer the airplane. In those cases where that is the case the owner in coop with your broker can approach the underwriter with the request. There are many underwriters out there and most if not all will allow training to be done in a piston twin rather than a “SIM” (actually they are Flight Training Devices). My company (and probably many of the other member instructors) has approvals from nearly all of the underwriters to perform initial and recurrent training in the aircraft.

Agreed, Dan, but… Having earned 3 type ratings in modern sims… and trained as an instructor and student in the early Navy night carrier landing training “devices”, to say nothing of Link instrument trainers, I’ll say that one can “get away with” training scenarios in a simulator that would be un-recoverable in reality. If nothing else, it’s a good, safe way to test one’s limits. 🙂

Hey Guys ,

Thanks for the advise . This is the first time outside of work that i have had access
      to individuals with the experience and knowledge that is shared by this group of
      individuals . This group feedback allows me to make choices based on another,s

life times of doing what we all love.
      I will go to a sim course so not to destroy a ram engine with 5 hours on it while
      i am a heavy handed novice. Thanks again gthornton

quote GTHORNTON:

Hey Guys ,

Thanks for the advise . This is the first time outside of work that i have had access
      to individuals with the experience and knowledge that is shared by this group of
      individuals . This group feedback allows me to make choices based on another,s

life times of doing what we all love.
      I will go to a sim course so not to destroy a ram engine with 5 hours on it while
      i am a heavy handed novice. Thanks again gthornton

I am preparing an article about shock heat and cool for my website from data I have collected from turbo charged piston aircraft. I have some interesting conclusions to share. Keep an eye out here I will post a link when it is up on the website.

quote DMOORE1:

I am preparing an article about shock heat and cool for my website from data I have collected from turbo charged piston aircraft. I have some interesting conclusions to share. Keep an eye out here I will post a link when it is up on the website.

That should be interesting. How did you collect the data and what were the inter-sample intervals that you used? I wish the engine monitor manufacturers would add heating rate in addition to cooling rate.

Geoff

rwelsh
      Participant

Geoff, the Insight G3 has a number readout by the second for 21 parameters. It is pretty easy to use an Excel program to look at all the numbers and see how quick it cools. I always leave the MP where it was in cruise and never tough it until on short final. If you set the vertical descent on the 530 to 800 feet per minute, then the cabin has time to come down without ear pops and the engine cools gradually from the extra descent airspeed and the gradual cooling due to less turbo use. This works great out west where we have more latitude then flyers out east and all their congestion.

As Daniel noted above, most of the flight training companies that advertise on Twin Cessna have authorization from most of the insurance companies that insure pressurized piston twins. That is the case with my training company as well.

However, I have noticed that the individual underwriters do have a prejudice toward companies with sim training – probably because no one ever got fired for approving Simcom of Flight Safety.

I have had no trouble getting approved for initial training, even for pilots with brand new “quickie” ME ratings.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.