International Registry

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Buying a Twin Cessna International Registry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

When we bought our 421 we were required to register with the international registry (I guess because of the weight of the plane). Now a renewal of some kind is due and they are telling me it is $800 😯 does anyone else do this? Is it really required and do i have to renew it every year??

TIm

sworley
    Participant

I could be wrong about all this but I seem to recall it not be required and choosing not to do it. I think it’s international proof of ownership.

I have not had to do that with my 421. Who had you do that initially?

quote TJOHNSONJR:

When we bought our 421 we were required to register with the international registry (I guess because of the weight of the plane). Now a renewal of some kind is due and they are telling me it is $800 😯 does anyone else do this? Is it really required and do i have to renew it every year??

TIm

I’m wondering who “required” it?

Is this what we’re talking about? I found it through the FAA website…

https://www.internationalregistry.aero/irWeb/Controller.jpf

I thought that it had to do with the number of seats that the aircraft was certified with, 8 for a 421. I just bought mine in June. The way it was explained to me: if you are financing the plane, the banks require it. If you are not financing, then it is optional. Only required if you think you be in international airspace. I had to get it. I also had it on. My previous plane (AeroCommander). I do not recall an annual fee though.

Yeah thats the one, im not sure who required it but we do have a loan so i assume its the bank….

I know this is an older thread but I just went through this so I thought it was worth explaining IR further.

The fact that a 421 has to be registered is a bit ridiculous. It falls under the 8 seat passenger provision which as you can imagine translates into a very expensive business jet. The reason the finance companies require it is because it has a higher lien position than the FAA registry. Their fear is that they could finance an airplane, have their lien registered with the FAA and then someone files a lien on the IR and could claim the asset and would have a higher lien position then the FAA registration. So long story short is that they are just covering their arse.

As I recall, the registry must be maintained on a single computer system that is “sealed” and registered via hard drive serial number, etc. As other’s have pointed out, it is mostly protection that if you fly into a small 3rd world country you are not slapped with a false lien against the plane.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2006/061122registry.html has some details.

Here are some of the countries that have signed….
      Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Bahrain (effective 1st March 2013), Bangladesh, Belarus, Brazil, Cameroon, Canada (effective 1st April 2013), Cape Verde, China, Colombia, Congo (effective 1st May 2013), Costa Rica, Cuba, Ethiopia, European Community, Fiji, Gabon, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Syrian Arab Republic, The Kingdom of the Netherlands, Tajikistan, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Republic of Tanzania, United States of America, United Arab Emirates, Zimbabwe.

and here is even more details: https://www.internationalregistry.aero/irWeb/Controller.jpf

I did a quick look, and I can’t seem to find a single success story where it has helped anyone. Seems another hopeless bureaucratic way of separating you from your money.

I think the banks go along with it, since you cover the costs and they have the risk.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.