improving braking on a 421C

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues improving braking on a 421C

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I am running a straight leg 421C. The brakes are “marginal”. The concern occurs during hard braking, which requires too much pedal pressure and pedals begin to have soft feel during hard application. It has had everything done to it from new rotors, rebuilds on the calipers, even new Master cylinders, and of-course they have been well bled.. I know the 421 series is not known for great brakes, but I am looking for ideas on anything else which can be done to improve them.

pmcnamee
    Participant

The Cessna 400 series airplanes have excellent brakes.

Have your mechanic rebuild the parking brake valve. It sometimes allows pressure to leak by it.

Keep’em Flying

Pat

I have spent over $8000 in the last few months on having the shop work on these brakes. The shop tells me that they are good as they are going to get. I have a female pilot I would like to have qualified in the aircraft but I hesitate because I am concerned that she could have trouble in a hard emergency stop situation. I run several other models of aircraft including a Navajo and a 340, both which have great brakes. I can pull those aircraft to a stop with confidence. This 421 is not like the other aircraft.

What do other owners of the later model 414, 421, 425 (which all have the same brake system) think of their emergency hard braking ability, and amount of pedal pressure required, of their aircraft?

There is a lot of weight having to be stopped by the brakes, but ours are not abnormally hard to depress and give a great amount of stopping power. No complaints here. Wish I had a solution for you.

We fly 400 hours a year on our 421B, a large percentage of our flying is from short strips, I allways brief that “in the event of a high speed reject, we will be going of the end”, I agree with you, the brakes are marginal given the weight of the aircraft, and yes, the park brake and all the brake system is up to factory specs.Having said this, at this time of the year around here most runways are snow/ice contaminated so without anti skid and reverse even with a perfect brake set up one is liable to finish up in the Rhubarb!

quote riknoian:

I have spent over $8000 in the last few months on having the shop work on these brakes. The shop tells me that they are good as they are going to get. I have a female pilot I would like to have qualified in the aircraft but I hesitate because I am concerned that she could have trouble in a hard emergency stop situation. I run several other models of aircraft including a Navajo and a 340, both which have great brakes. I can pull those aircraft to a stop with confidence. This 421 is not like the other aircraft.

What do other owners of the later model 414, 421, 425 (which all have the same brake system) think of their emergency hard braking ability, and amount of pedal pressure required, of their aircraft?

Have you had a chance to fly another 421C for comparison? I recall there where an issue with a brake line under the co-pilot floor boards where the wire harness above it chaffed it enough to pinhole and impacted the braking effectiveness.

Have you also had the rubber hoses replaced?

Eric

bgooding1
      Participant

Reviving an old thread!

I have also always thought the brakes on my 421 are marginal. I have never flown another 421 to compare.

However recently I flew a Navajo. Those brakes are much more effective.

Anyone else flown both? Does the Navajo have significantly better brakes?

Is there any sort of upgrade available for the 421?

Thanks, brad.

dverner1
        Participant

I owned a Navajo CR for 12 years and over 1000 hrs and the brakes were great. I have a trailing link 421C that I have owned for a little over a year and 125 hours and the brakes are about the same to me. The 421 is heavier, but i have no issues slowing down or stopping with the brakes.

bgooding1
          Participant

Thanks David,

Mine is straight leg. Are the brakes better on the TL?

I can brake in any condition (ground run, roll out after landing) as much as to lock up the wheels if I want. It requires a firm push and might be a bit too much for a tiny, untrained woman, but for me I can’t complain and consider the brakes to be adequate.

When landing on short strips, you have to really close the throttles to idle.
            On grund runs, the engines just pull away the bird with locked wheels, even on clean, dry concrete.

Mine is a straight leg C model and has plenty of braking power. I did have to replace the master cylinder on the right side. Best I recall there are a couple of possibilities for brands. Perhaps Bendix and Cleveland and I cannot recall which was replaced with what. Either way they are strong and firm now.

Craig

Mine is trailing link and I have never had a problem braking, I think it is very comparable to my old 340A. I have landed on a 3200 foot runway with no issues or concerns..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.