improved lighting for the 421?

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section General Topics improved lighting for the 421?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

What are the options to improve the nose wheel / fold down wing lights on the 421. What works such as a halogen bulb or HID replacments? I would rather replace current lamps in the current locations without adding lights elsewhere.

quote riknoian:

What are the options to improve the nose wheel / fold down wing lights on the 421. What works such as a halogen bulb or HID replacments? I would rather replace current lamps in the current locations without adding lights elsewhere.

What issue are you having? I have cowl mounted lights and never use the drop down lights (but they are there if I need them). My cowl and nose wheel lights are LEDs and produce plenty of lights, but I usually am landing on well lit strips…

Robert

I wish I had the cowl mounted lights on our 421. However, to answer your question, I would replace the nosewheel “taxi” light with an LED bulb to get started and see how you like it from there. The LED bulbs are great lights and we have started using them to replace whatever goes out on any aircraft we manage/fly, however, we won’t just swap them out unless the extra light is needed.

We just did the Whelen Parametheus LED landing/taxi lights on our 310 and love them. Our airport doesn’t have very good lighting, so it is a big help at night. Huge difference vs. the stock incandescent.

As far as upgrades on our planes go, it’s about as cheap as they come…

I am in process of adding the cowl recognition pulse lights now. As lights burn out, I will probably go with the upgraded LED lights.

The nice thing about the recog lights is that you can run them the entire flight if you wish. For me, it is a safety measure.

quote tallen:

For me, it is a safety measure.

Ditto. I turn the cowl mounted pulse lights and strobes on when I enter the runway and leave them on all flight.

I do turn then off if I’m in a cloud or precip at night just since they get annoying and distracting. I also turn them on (non flashing) when I get close to the airport for a night landing.

I switched the cowl lights and taxi lights to Wheelen LEDs about a year ago and have been very happy.

Robert

Where can you get the cowl lights for a 421? Do they slow the plane down?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.