Hot starting technique

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Operational Issues Hot starting technique

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Can I get a few suggestions that are tried and true in starting a hot TSIO-520?

I am talking about a quick turn around after a refueling stop…..20min. or so….engine is very hot.

I am also talking about an station stop of 90 min or so…..where the engine is still
    hot to touch but not crackling.

I have heard of a few techniques but I am just trying to streamline the process.

I have the cold start down pat with barely a full revolution when the engine kicks over
    with determination after proper fuel priming.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have a 340 too and I have tried lots of methods, but this one work well for me with hot engines.

1. With the mixtures in cut-off, run the electric pumps on High for ~ 1 minute. This will pump cool fuel into the fuel manifold.
    2. Turn off the left pump (leave right running), advance mixture to full rich on Left Engine, throttle open to normal starting position, engage the starter and have a finger ready on the primer. The engine will fire but may need a momentary prime to keep running, but most of the time mine fires and starts idling smoothly.
    3. Shut off the Right Boost Pump and repeat with the right engine.

If the left engine does not start on the first attempt, I put the mixture to cut-off and restart the boost pump and start the right side. After a minute, I retry the left.

I used to try to start the engines starting with the mixture in cut-off and then advance when the engine fired, but that was hit and miss. Worked well with my Seneca, but not that reliable with the 340.

Make sure the boost pumps are off before advancing the mixtures to full rich!

This method works for me and my plane, I suspect it will work OK for you too. I use this starting procedure when I do a drop off/pick up of a passenger or a quick fuel stop.

If the engines are warm, not hot, I start it with my normal procedure. Full Rich, Throttle advanced to Idle position, engage the primer and starter at the same time and when it fires, release both the starter and primer. I know this is not the manual procedure, but it seems to work well in all temps. Never over or under prime, it fires when it has enough fuel.

Fly safe,

Jim

I have been using the procedure that has appeared in the back issues of the Flyer namely:

1. Mixture in idle cutoff
    2. Throttle to the firewall
    3. Fuel pump on for 30 to 60 seconds than off
    4. Mixture full rich and prime as though it were a cold start
    5. Throttle at usual start position
    6. Engage starter

I have used this procedure with 100% success, however, every engine seems to have its own personality in that regard, so it may work for you or maybe not.

Good luck,

Thanks gents…I will try your suggestions and see how it goes.

Another method:

Throttles full
    Mixtures full
    Prime about 2 to 4 seconds.
    Hit starter while throttle is full and while cranking slowly retard throttle.
    Engine will fire about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and continue bringing back the throttle to idle

This method usually will allow for much shorter cranking time and works great.

Vince

rwelsh
    Participant

Vince’s method above also works in reverse. After priming for 4 seconds or so to get the vapor out of the fuel line, retard the throttle and then hit the starter button and advance the throttle until the engine fires–about 12 blades. The fuel air mixture gets to the firing point as the throttle is opened and adds more air to the mixture.

I have a Ram VI 414. I have tried the book method, the instructor methods, and so on. What I use now that has been very consistent is to go full rich with the mixtures, throttles forward one inch, boost pumps OFF. Press the start button with your thumb on the primer and as soon as the engine starts ( which is right away after only three or four blade turn thru, bump the primer as needed and it starts every time. I tried the ” run the boost pumps for three minutes and all that, but this has worked flawlessly for me and save wear and tear on the starters.

Make sure the mags are on and boost pumps off BEFORE you attempt the start, or you will get the sequence out of whack and then you’re on your own.

Thanks for the info…

I find that when really hot….I go full rich, throttle 1 inch and start without priming….
      If it catches right away I try and keep it going with a touch of primer…..otherwise I go 1/2 throttle,
      mixture cut off and slowly retard throttle as I crank….engine normally catches after a few revolutions….
      then full rich and voila!

I guess a combination of methods so thanks for the input.

quote KJORDAN:

I have a Ram VI 414. I have tried the book method, the instructor methods, and so on. What I use now that has been very consistent is to go full rich with the mixtures, throttles forward one inch, boost pumps OFF. Press the start button with your thumb on the primer and as soon as the engine starts ( which is right away after only three or four blade turn thru, bump the primer as needed and it starts every time. I tried the ” run the boost pumps for three minutes and all that, but this has worked flawlessly for me and save wear and tear on the starters.

Make sure the mags are on and boost pumps off BEFORE you attempt the start, or you will get the sequence out of whack and then you’re on your own.

This is same as I use, works everytime… so far. 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.