Having withdrawal symptoms…

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section General Topics Having withdrawal symptoms…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Since moving to Ohio a bit over two months ago, I’ve only flown once, and that was only to get some in-flight pictures of the plane. Going from my typically 40+ hours per month I’ve been doing, I’m suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Now with the crisp, clear days of fall upon us when airplanes leap into the sky as if the weights from summer have been magically lifted off of them, interiors are no longer hot enough to boil water in, and engines rumble with delight as they warm up, I have the great urge to hop in the 310 and fly somewhere. So, today, we went to the airport, withdrawal symptoms being in full force…

Of course, the 310’s engines are off on vacation for a deluxe spa treatment, and so all I could do for a flying fix was sit in the plane and make engine noises. Far less satisfying than actually converting fuel into noise. *sigh*

But while we were there we cleaned the underside quite a bit, installed the new Whelen LED taxi light (and found out they sent us the wrong landing lights…), removed the old static wicks we’re replacing, and put on the Jerry Temple switch covers (which are a very nice little aesthetic upgrade, especially since the old switch covers looked very old and dirty).

More cleaning next weekend, including of the engine bays and inside the flap areas, then spray on some Boeshield T-50. Hopefully we’ll also have the proper landing lights by then.

I feel your pain! Rumor has it my airplane’s almost ready to fly (and, in fact, might be test flown today). I have high hopes I’ll be flying a twin this week.

Robert

Good luck, Robert!

I got confirmation today that the shop has received the engines. So now we just sit back and wait for them to get overhauled. And hopefully no bad news.

quote TDUPUIS:

Good luck, Robert!

Likewise!

I also received good news this afternoon – My plane flew this morning and everything’s looking good. I’m planning to fly her on Wednesday AM and have my fingers crossed. Been a while since I’ve flown a twin, but I did some extra recurrent at Simcom a few weeks ago.

Robert

Good luck Robert. I can “feel the pain” too. (As I write this sitting in Delta CRJ instead of my C421).
    Just purchased in May, got all pre-buy stuff done and delivered in July, flew for 10 hours and started using lots of oil in right engine. Took back in and found a cracked case. Six weeks later, the engine is supposed to arrive back at the shop tomorrow from RAM, another week to hang it, then hopefully back in the air by Oct 5.

Reading everyone else’s similar adventures at least allows me to tell my wife that this “isn’t unusual”. Haha

quote JKOZIARSKI:

Reading everyone else’s similar adventures at least allows me to tell my wife that this “isn’t unusual”. Haha

Not sure if that’s good news or bad news!

Where are you based?

Robert

quote RCJOHNSON:

I also received good news this afternoon – My plane flew this morning and everything’s looking good. I’m planning to fly her on Wednesday AM and have my fingers crossed. Been a while since I’ve flown a twin, but I did some extra recurrent at Simcom a few weeks ago.

That is good news! They’ve started the teardown on engine #1 today. Hoping for no bad news.

I guess it could be both good and bad. It is all part of “avaiting”; which is still the most fun one can have with the lights on.

I am based at BTL (Battle Creek, MI).

John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.