Guy’s Training Article

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Safety Issues & Accidents Guy’s Training Article

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Guy, I enjoyed reading your article. My 6 month old then enjoyed eating and tearing up the magazine. 🙂

Good points about training and safety. I’ve been giving some thought about what I want to do in getting some sort of regular program going, having decreased from ~500 hours/year to now what I think will be ~100 hours/year. One benefit I have is being married to a former FlightSafety Instructor of the Year. 🙂

My goal is to do at least one trip per month in the plane. Since the install of the new engines we’ve more or less managed to do that. Belize right about at New Year’s, Newfoundland mid-February, and then some ferry flights to and from Twin Lakes in early March followed by Omaha for Easter. We’ll see how that keeps up. Fortunately, the baby loves flying, so at least that part is easy.

Thanks for the feedback, Ted.

Wow, FSI instructor of the year wife. Nice – I think. Is every ride with her in the right seat a check ride? 😉

Guy

quote GMAHER:

Wow, FSI instructor of the year wife. Nice – I think. Is every ride with her in the right seat a check ride? 😉

Actually, one thing we haven’t been able to agree on is who’s the better pilot. I say it’s her, she says it’s me. These days she sits in the back with the baby, but for the most part she won’t fly the 310, even though she has as much time in 310s as I do, and used to fly 340s on charters as well. She’s got 3x as many hours as I do, and prior to becoming a full-time mom she was flying Sikorsky S-92s to off-shore oil rigs off of the coast of Newfoundland. If she wrote a book, it would certainly be more interesting than if I did.

We’re thinking once we can leave the baby with someone for a few hours, we’ll take advantage of the chance to go to the airport and give eachother IPCs. 🙂

So the wife is a rotor head, eh? Me too. Presently over 23 years flying EMS. Currently flying an IFR EC-135. If she reads Vertical Magazine, she will see my articles. If not, and she would like, I’ll hook her up with a free subscription.

I’d love to be a fly on the backseat of your 310 when you do your flip flop IPC’s! Trying to decide it it would be “John and Martha King” or “Lucy and Ricky”!

Guy

quote GMAHER:

So the wife is a rotor head, eh? Me too. Presently over 23 years flying EMS. Currently flying an IFR EC-135. If she reads Vertical Magazine, she will see my articles. If not, and she would like, I’ll hook her up with a free subscription.

I’d love to be a fly on the backseat of your 310 when you do your flip flop IPC’s! Trying to decide it it would be “John and Martha King” or “Lucy and Ricky”!

Guy

She’s a rotor/fixed, like you. 4000 hours fixed wing, mostly instruction with some time flying 310s and 340s on charter. Then went and did helicopter instruction until she got enough time to go work the Gulf of Mexico, moved on to FlightSafety. I’ll pass on your offer on the magazine – I know she doesn’t get that one presently.

We do well flying together. Actually she signed me off for my CFII and MEI. I was more of the challenge at first since I’d only done single pilot ops before meeting her. If you want to fly up you’re welcome to sit in back, the condition being you need to entertain the baby! 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.