Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I know of one Comanche friend of ours who’s been affected. Lost all GPS while flying /G, IFR direct. Got a vector to the next VOR and went on… Has anyone else?

“…Salt Lake City Center (UT) [ZLC]: August NOTAM #30 issued by Gps Notam OA [GPS]

Navigation GPS is unreliable and May BE unavailable WITHIN A RADIUS of 289 nautical miles and CENTERED at 360012N/1173858W Oregon THE location also KNOWN as THE BEATTY / BTY / VOR 223 radial at 65 nautical miles at FL400 and above; decreasing in area with A DECREASE in altitude to A RADIUS of 236 nautical miles at FL250; A RADIUS of 157 nautical miles at 10, 000 ft. mean sea level; A RADIUS of 142 nautical miles at 4, 000 ft. above ground level; and A RADIUS of 118 nautical miles at 50 ft. above ground level. effective from August 24th, 2012 at 03:00 PM MDT (1208242100) – August 24th, 2012 at 05:00 PM MDT (1208242300)…”
    —————————————————————-

Sometimes this is military hush hush. This year has been particularly bad for solar flares which does hurt GPS status especially in the North.

Hi, Dan. I see, very occasionally, my KLN-90B not go into approach mode due no RAIM. Usually lasts for just a few seconds, and I’m not sure if one of these Notams was ever in effect at those very rare times. I always get a briefing, even for local flights, from CSC Duats and the GPS Notams have been showing up more frequently. 300-mi wide area at 10,000′ is impressive coverage 😯

I lost mine the other day for a few minutes while climbing IMC over BDL. I was cleared at the time to a GPS waypoint so after a quick glance at the 396 and troubleshoot of the 430 got me nothing I notified ATC and he just calmly gave me a vector to the waypoint and asked to notify when i was able to resume own navigation. Same thing happened on the retun flight at roughly the same altitude (although i was VFR this time) so whilst im currently having the antenna checked i got the feeling from ATC that i wasnt the only one reporting the issue. GPS integ came back after about 3-4 mins both times and i resumed on course.

Gave me a good reminder about having a VOR programmed in, just in case, and i was glad i had the trusty 396 (which surprising didnt lose reception or at least didnt annunciate it) Forgot how reliant on GPS i had become. Always learning.

I read a piece in the IFR Refresher a few months back about “planning for when the GPS signal quits”. I guess I did not think much about this before, lulled into complacency with multible GPS receivers. Of course the scenario was a RNAV approach in Idaho with the only nav available the GPS, along with a dog-leg final and mountains on both sides of the final. No NDB or VOR signal available.

So the scenario was that you are on your way to the FAF, higher mountains both sides of you path and the GPS quits – now what?

Taught me to plan for the thing stop navigating, be aware of clock for NM/MIN and my wind corrected heading needed and get over the MAP before banging into the hillside. Of course initiating a climb is good, but on this one it takes a long climb to get above the danger if off the course.

I will see if I still have it, I found it very good.

Last summer I was in Alaska and there were NOTAMS for GPS signal interruptions. I asked Flight Service about this and they said the Air Force was testing GPS jamming north of Fairbanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.