Gear position indicator lights

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Maintenance Issues Gear position indicator lights

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I recently had a gear indicator lightbulb burn out in my 340 which concerned me and my passengers. Is there a way to replace these bulbs with LED illumination?

The bulbs are MS25237-327 or AN3140-327. A internet search turned up a site that sells bulbs that look like they would work. Checkout http://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/327 and let us all know if this will work.
    Good luck!

As it turns out, Aircraft Spruce has these lights, Item # 11-08478 priced at $4.65.
    Think I might try them myself, it’s always cause for an elevated heart rate when a gear light fails.

The part number for Aircraft Spruce has changed to 11-09629 at $7.90 each. They are much brighter, I installed them in the landing gear light and the autopilot panel. There was a big difference especially in the autopilot panel which was very difficult to see in the sun light, it is also much cooler to the touch.

I installed the LED lights from Aircraft Spruce last month and am well pleased with the results. The gear indicator lights are much cooler and should last indefinitely. Thanks for the information.

Today I tried to replace my gear position lights on our 1961 310F with these lights from Aircraft Spruce, but for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out how to get the bulb out!

See the picture below. This is a military style cats eye push to test light (only one red gear up light and one green gear down light).

Any information on how to replace these lights, preferably with LEDs, would be much appreciated.

Butch

Attachments:

Butch, I put those same lights in the panel of our 310 a month or two ago and we love them.

I used the pliers on a Swiss army knife to get the old bulb out. I found the trick to be twisting the bulb as I pulled it. You’re right, it is a pain!

A word of warning for everyone: Spruce seems to have two types of these LEDs in their warehouses. The one like Butch has in the picture is the one you want (squared off top). The rounded off LEDs are not nearly as bright and have a greenish tint to them. The squared off top ones have a nice bright white color. They work fine with the factory dimmers. It took 35 to do in the 310.

Thanks Ted, I appreciate the info, I’ll try again.

Butch

SUCCESS! Thanks Ted, once I figured out how how to get the bulb out it was very easy to replace the incandescent bulb with the LEDs.

You’re also correct that the gear lights are much brighter and easier to see with the LEDs.

Now, can you tell me which bulbs are needed for the Nav lights (position lights) in the tuna tanks and tail cone? And where are the other 34 lights you replaced with LEDs, I don’t have post lights so I suspect that’s where most of them are.

I did replace the taxi light with a PAR 36 Alphabeam from Aircraft Spruce, it’s terrific!

Thanks again,

Butch

Butch,

The other 35 I replaced were post lights. I also did the landing and taxi lights.

My next LED project is strobe and beacon. 🙂

rstanley
    Participant
      quote HGilbert1:

SUCCESS! Thanks Ted, once I figured out how how to get the bulb out it was very easy to replace the incandescent bulb with the LEDs.

You’re also correct that the gear lights are much brighter and easier to see with the LEDs.

Now, can you tell me which bulbs are needed for the Nav lights (position lights) in the tuna tanks and tail cone? And where are the other 34 lights you replaced with LEDs, I don’t have post lights so I suspect that’s where most of them are.

I did replace the taxi light with a PAR 36 Alphabeam from Aircraft Spruce, it’s terrific!

Thanks again,

Butch

Check Whelen, they are only $230 not Alphabeam at $290

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.