Garmin Question for Trek on G600

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Avionics Topics Garmin Question for Trek on G600

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Hi all – I now have enough banked to do an Aspen 2500 C3 in my 414. However, I just found out this week that Synth vision is not certified on the PFD for the Class III units and you can only have it on the MFD.

So with that in mind I’m thinking I should go with the G600, I can’t do G500 because the 414 required the G600 instead. Thats fine as the G600 come with Synth.

However, I’m trying to keep my budget in line with what I was planning on with the Aspen.

I’m wondering what would be the minimum I could get away with to get the AP (400) interfaced, GPSS and the Garmin 530 to keep the budget low.

here is my panel if you have any ideas for suggestions how to keep it to a minimal for now and still get G600 installed.

Kelly:

If I recall, I think you live out West. If so, I’d suggest that you call Garrett Neal of Neal Aviation at Gillespie Field in the San Diego area. He did my full panel upgrade (see pictures under New Glass for 310P – N88JB Updated Photos). Garrett and team are first class, did a fantastic job, stayed within budget and I couldn’t be happier. I’m sure he could work with you on the cost of your potential project. For what it’s worth, I was trying to decide between the Aspen 2500 and the G500 and, at the end of the day, the costs ended up being very close (I did have a small rebate as well). So, I went with the G500 with SVT for a bit more money, but I’m so gald I did! It’s awesome! And, I had the Aspen 1000 prior to the upgrade and really liked that unit as well. No complaints at all.

Good luck, and PM if you’d like to chat about my experience.

Troy

Hello,
    if you go with the G600 it comes with the GAD 43e (when ordered), with the latest S/W release this will allow you to remove the iron gyro and utilize the AHRS output to drive the Cessna 400. You won’t have altitude preselect as that is planned for a later date, however along with this feature as well as Syn Vis, the G600 also is the roll steering converter you’ll have a pretty good combo.

Let me know if there are any other questions,

quote TrekLawler:

Hello,
    if you go with the G600 it comes with the GAD 43e (when ordered), with the latest S/W release this will allow you to remove the iron gyro and utilize the AHRS output to drive the Cessna 400. You won’t have altitude preselect as that is planned for a later date, however along with this feature as well as Syn Vis, the G600 also is the roll steering converter you’ll have a pretty good combo.

Let me know if there are any other questions,

Thanks for that info. so I can replace the cessna gyro with electric or something of that flavor?
    Will the G600 display Flight Director now as well?
    Also, I understand that we can’t do pre-select but can it do Alt Capture ? I assume it does not but instead give audio signal when approaching altitude.

My other question is how much the upgrade to alt preselect will be when it comes out. That might make it more logical to delay installation.

In my MU2, I have the G600 w/synthetic vision w/flight director. I still have to use the original Alt. Pre-Select. I actually set both the G600 and the original so I get the chimes from the G600. With the GAD-43e, you get to take out the mechanical gyros. Slick set-up! It will be even better when I only have one altitude to dial in.

The command bars respond to the G600 Alt. pre-select

The auto-pilot responds to the original pre-select.

I know this is a different airplane and autopilot, but thought it might help.

Thanks Tom – Yeah, I think I can live for a while without the pre-select/capture with enough visual feedback and if the Flight Director works with my 400AP would be perfect.

Hello,
    yes, the G600 will display the external flight director from the 400B system. As it’s been pointed out adding the GAD 43e will remove the original Cessna gyro and allow the A/P to follow the G600 AHRS unit so no mechanical gyro will be necessary. as for the pricing of the altitude preselect, the GAD 43e will provide this interface with a software update and usually only requires additional wiring by your installer with no additional cost (using the recent KFC interfaces as an example). However since this has not been determined yet for the Cessna system I really can’t say for sureif there is going to be any additional costs involved.

Best Regards,

Trek,

Just like my MU2, the Cessna won’t lose pre-select if it is already installed, correct? It just can’t be done through the G600 yet. The 400/800 autopilot will still level off using the old pre-select already in the airplane. I just want this to be clear.

quote tallen:

Trek,

Just like my MU2, the Cessna won’t lose pre-select if it is already installed, correct? It just can’t be done through the G600 yet. The 400/800 autopilot will still level off using the old pre-select already in the airplane. I just want this to be clear.

Yeah I assume that would be the case.. In my setup I don’t have a pre-select for my 400 AP which I wish I did have. But at least having Tones, flashing and Flight Director in front of me helps a ton.

More importantly I get ESV and good GA identifiable information.

quote tallen:

Trek,

This is correct, if you have the original preselect it will still be functional. Th eG600 will give tone callouts when the selected altitude is being reached.

Best Regards,

Ok next question. Shops that do great 414 work.

I have a call out for a shop in San Deigo, think it’s Neal Aviation.
    I’ve been talking with Howard Aviation (Robin owner) they seems to do a good number of planes there.
    I’ve heard mixed reviews about Chief Aircraft in Oregon.
    Talking with a guy out of Idaho Falls (Andy Andrews) who I heard does good work
    Ron Miller out of TWF as well.

My biggest challenge right now is getting responses from anyone. I get very little response on bids etc as of late.

If there are other shops in the Oregon, Nor Cal, Idaho, UTah area that are skilled with 414’s let me know.

Kelly

sthibault1
    Participant

One of my clients had a G600 installed in his C-340 in November. He has a KFC 200 autopilot along with altitude preselect and a Garmin 530W. When he installed the G600, built in altitude preselect was not available but was suppose to be in the near future. The shop that did the install made two new panels for him. The first panel was cut with a spot for his original altitude preselect. The second panel did not have the hole for the original altitude preselect. This panel was going to be installed once the G600 was approved for altitude preselect. Two weeks ago the second panel was installed, the original preselect equipment was removed, and we went flying for the day using the G600 preselect. It worked perfectly! We even put the airplane in a 1,300 FPM descent and let it capture the selected altitude, which it did, with two very minor (30′) altitude overshoots.

Safe flying,
      Steve Thibault

So it turns out that the G600 will work with the APS4A unit to allow Alt select and Capture.. it’s a seperate unit but it’s fairly cheap to do and you can get alt pre-select and capture. Does not do pitch or rates but once you set your climb or decent it will capture it.
      Stated that it works with ARC (Cessna) 400B and 800B

Trek – any idea how well this works being fed off the G600? It says it’s driven by the Alerter on the G600 PFD.

Operation:
      Select desired altitude on Air Data Display or PFD and then enable Altitude Alerter function. Press Altitude Preselect Switch, lower ARMED-indication field is lighted blue. Altitude Preselect Mode is now engaged. When the preselected altitude is reached, the system automatically activates the Altitude Hold-Mode at this altitude. The ARMED-annunciation extinguishes and the ALT-indication within the AP system is ON.

Pin Assignments
      1 – Relay NC
      2- Relay C
      3 – relay NO
      4 – 28V Lighting
      5 – Indicator Lighting ARMED (28VDC or GND to ind/switch)
      6 – Altitude Preselect ARM (Moment. GND, enable from indicator/switch)
      7 – HI or LO from Altimeter when reached preselect Altitude
      8 – GND
      9 – 10 to 32VDC Power Supply (internal straps for 14/28 VDC operation)

Connector is a D-Sub 9Pin

Garmin is supposed to have a software upgrade for the G500/600 that will include alt preselect and VS preselect for the Cessna 400/800 autopilots. We are told it will be “later this year”. Trek… Any idea what part of this year we should expect this?
      Otherwise, the APS4A looks like a no brainer. What does it cost?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.