Gad 43 interface with 400 B auto pilot

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Cessna 303 Topics Gad 43 interface with 400 B auto pilot

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kbruun
    Participant

Having a complete redo of my avionics including the install of a G-500 MFD and PFD. Also installed is a Garmin GAD 43 to provide AHRS heading and nav to the 400 B.

Ground tests today were successful!

rtowe
      Participant

I thought Garmin gave up on the GAD43 interface? Did they actually get it working now?

kbruun
        Participant

We received a field approval for the Gad 43.

Kelly

jmiller
          Participant

What avionics shop performed your install and field approval?
            We with pre-installed GAD 43’s would be interested in following suit.

Thank You

JRM
            N2275C

quote kbruun:

Having a complete redo of my avionics including the install of a G-500 MFD and PFD. Also installed is a Garmin GAD 43 to provide AHRS heading and nav to the 400 B.

I would be interested to know how your shop went about this.

rwelsh
            Participant

deleted by author

jmiller
              Participant

Garmin had claimed by the end of the year (for the 3rd year), and again no results.

I have also messaged CPA and TCF members with Field approvals for copies to do the same with no replies.

We with paid pre-installed GAD-43 still wait. Obviously all the excitement in 2013 AP upgrades is on Beechtalk with the GAD-43E unit.

J. Miller
                N2275C

quote kbruun:

What airplane you have?

I am completing deal on adding G500 and 330es transponder for my 303.
                While Garmin has been refusing to work with any outside equipment mfg. lately (example is Insight) I have been told that the 43E is approved for the 400B. Have to use a 330 because the King 74es needs WAAS and can not get it from Garmin 750 (could from 430 or 530). ergo easier to go 330 route.
                Also I will not get altitude preselect, etc. Really don’t understand why but I cover the outlets in my house so that the electricity doesn’t leak out and fill up the rooms.

I heard though the grapevine that Garmin and the FAA have been struggling to get along. Don’t know if this is true but difficulty getting approvals could explain the lack of cooperation. ??

tom

quote TSRACHTA:

I am completing deal on adding G500 and 330es transponder for my 303.
                While Garmin has been refusing to work with any outside equipment mfg. lately (example is Insight) I have been told that the 43E is approved for the 400B. Have to use a 330 because the King 74es needs WAAS and can not get it from Garmin 750 (could from 430 or 530). ergo easier to go 330 route.
                Also I will not get altitude preselect, etc. Really don’t understand why but I cover the outlets in my house so that the electricity doesn’t leak out and fill up the rooms.

I heard though the grapevine that Garmin and the FAA have been struggling to get along. Don’t know if this is true but difficulty getting approvals could explain the lack of cooperation. ??

tom

Tom,

First I am a generalist on this stuff. The guru’s will probably have a better answer.

I have a GAD 43e in my plane and it works with my 400B. I had it installed via a Field Approval with an installation of a G500 a couple of years ago.

The ALT Pre-select works now (not when I had it installed) via the Garmin STC for the equipment, this is a recent update.

Not sure how this is all done if it is by Airframe type or AP type. And my transponder is Garmin so I suppose that makes it easy to get the WAAS information.

But it all works fine, I have had zero issues.

Jim

My autopilot is an 800B in my 421 and I also have GAD43e (behind the G600 and GTN750/650) and the GAD43e is probably the best thing ever happened to my autopilot… Works very well. I don’t recall if I needed any field approvals, it was installed this February…

I have been doing a lot of research about the GAD43 with a G500 driving the 400B lately. Here’s what I have learned.

If you have a 400B without the Integrated Flight Control System (IFCS) then you cannot get altitude pre-select. The G500 and the GAD43E can handle the task but there needs to be a way for the 400 to switch from attitude hold to altitude hold and the 400b w/o IFCS can’t do it.

If you don’t have the IFCS – and thus no alt pre-select – then there is no need for a GAD43E. You can simply get a GAD43. The 43 is about $2K less expensive than the 43E.

The 43 and 43E are both certified to drive the 400B.

It is possible, though not economically reasonable, to upgrade a plane from 400B to 400B with IFCS. That’s according to Barry at Auto-Pilot Central.

This information was confirmed but multiple installation shops.

If someone knows better, PLEASE advise.

Thanks,

Zeke

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.