GAD 43 for Cessna Autopilots

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Avionics Topics GAD 43 for Cessna Autopilots

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Has anyone heard anything about when Garmin is going to certify the GAD 43 with our cessna autopilots? I’m thinking about a g600 and would love to have it drive my 400ifcs.

The last word that I received was that they were starting flight tests in October and expected to have it done around the first of the year. They had to lease a 340 for three months to perform the required tests. The ironic part is that a number of Cessna twins are flying with it as a replacement for the attitude drive to the autopilot. Garmin had promised final approval by the end of 2009 when I installed mine …

You probably already know but just to confirm, the G500/600 interfaces to the 400B / 400b-IFCS with no issues other than replacement of the vacuum gyro. All of the modes work fine.

Interesting…

I have one question. When selecting the flight director. Does the the G600 show a flight director when it’s hooked to the gad 43?

quote COCHRANE:

The last word that I received was that they were starting flight tests in October and expected to have it done around the first of the year. They had to lease a 340 for three months to perform the required tests. The ironic part is that a number of Cessna twins are flying with it as a replacement for the attitude drive to the autopilot. Garmin had promised final approval by the end of 2009 when I installed mine …

You probably already know but just to confirm, the G500/600 interfaces to the 400B / 400b-IFCS with no issues other than replacement of the vacuum gyro. All of the modes work fine.

Do you mean October 2011?

Where is the ironic part? Are you saying that it is not approved but they are flying with it?

Do you have to replace the vacuum gyro when you install a G500/600?

Rodolfo
    1978 C340A RAM VII

Gerald T. Alves
    Participant

I have a G600 with my 800IFCS and have GPSS. Until the G43 has approval you can use your standby ADI to drive the A/P. Mine works fine and the C340 testing is going on now. Jerry 1980 421C

quote :

… When selecting the flight director. Does the the G600 show a flight director when it’s hooked to the gad 43?

The flight director outputs from the G500/600 connect to the autopilot computer and provide the FD guidance signals to generate the FD bars. The GAD43 only provides attitude information to the autopilot for replacement of the attitude indicator. The G500/600 will display the flight director bars with either the Cessna attitude gyros or the GAD43. (GAD43 attitude data can also be used with the GWX68 radar for pitch and roll stabilization.)

quote :

Do you mean October 2011?

Where is the ironic part? Are you saying that it is not approved but they are flying with it?

Do you have to replace the vacuum gyro when you install a G500/600?

Rodolfo
      1978 C340A RAM VII

Yes, October 2011 is what I was told at Oshkosh.

The ironic part about replacing the Cessna attitude indicators (G519 or G550A) is that the installation of the system, including installation of the GAD43 as a replacement for the AI/ADI, was documented in the approved installation manual. Therefore some number of installations have been completed and are flying. As it was explained to me, Garmin determined they needed to confirm proper operation with a full flight test program and that is the hold up for official approval and installation.

No, you don’t have to replace the vacuum gyro with the GAD43 when installing the G500/600. The only reason I installed the GAD43 was to reduce the recurring cost of overhauls on the G550A ADI. In all cases you need a backup AI in the pilot’s field of view.

Geoff

Thank you Geoff, now I understand.

I have been waiting for the GAD 43 and install it in my 340. But it seems that I have to wait until 2012 to get it. I have the Aspen PFD already.

I want a panel refurbishment and get rid of the instruments I will not need.

Rodolfo
      1978 C340A RAM VII

quote AHOFWEGEN:

Has anyone heard anything about when Garmin is going to certify the GAD 43 with our cessna autopilots? I’m thinking about a g600 and would love to have it drive my 400ifcs.

Does anybody knows about the GAD 43 for our Cessna Autopilots?

It is 2012 and I do not know anything about it.

Is Garmin now playing with us like Honeywell did with its KSN 770 MFD for so long?

Rodolfo

1978 C340A RAM VII (and love it! 😀 )

I just talked to Garmin and they say first quarter of 2013 for the Cessna 400B.

quote :

I just talked to Garmin and they say first quarter of 2013 for the Cessna 400B.

From Garmin on January 16th, 2012:
      Hi Geoff,

I apologize for not responding promptly to your last message. Our current schedule calls for us to amend the STC to include GAD 43 gyro emulation for the 400B by the middle of this year. We should be able to gather the flight data during the first quarter this year.

Best regards,

Bill Parsons
      Customer Support Manager
      Garmin AT

Sounds like the same response from the summer of 2009 – it will be ready in January… or perhaps March. When Bill provided his response in January I believe that he confirmed the dates with management and engineering.

bkaminsky
      Participant

Service Record Details

I received the following response on may 2, 2012:

Service Record Number: 73421
        Subject: GAD43 approval with the Cessna 400B IFCS autopilot.
        Last update: 05/02/2012 15:54:41
        Name:
        Phone:
        Email: eaklaw@aol.com

Brief description of the problem:
        Hello Edward,

We appreciate your continued patience through this process. We are in the final phases of completion for the GAD43/Cessna 400B emulation approval. The FAA STC approval process takes a long time to add any emulation. I am happy to say that we should see a new release within the next three months or sooner. Keep in touch with your Garmin dealer so that they may contact you when the new STC release becomes available.

Does anyone know what happened to this?

According to the Garmin reps during Oshkosh they successfully completed the flight tests and were submitting the final paperwork to the FAA. I received a response from Garmin technical support today: “We are still on track for Q4 delivery but that is all of the information that I have at hand. I’ve still got your name on my tickler list and plan on getting in touch as soon as we have more substantive news.” By delivery they are referring to the STC approval.

Geoff

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.