Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    sworley
    Participant

I’m starting to kick around the idea of installing a G-600 in my aircraft. I’d like to know if anyone that has done it already has any regrets/stories/advice on the process. My main reason for doing it is I consider my vacuum driven KI-256 to be the biggest threat of failure in my panel. I do have a backup electrical/battery AI, but it doesn’t drive my A/P. I’m also a big fan of synthetic vision.

Also, does anybody know if installing a co-pilot display unit provides any redundancy? If you do that is it a separate system or the same system with 2 display units? Any experience with GAD43e and interfacing the radio altimeter?

Spencer

quote SWORLEY:

I’m starting to kick around the idea of installing a G-600 in my aircraft. I’d like to know if anyone that has done it already has any regrets/stories/advice on the process. My main reason for doing it is I consider my vacuum driven KI-256 to be the biggest threat of failure in my panel. I do have a backup electrical/battery AI, but it doesn’t drive my A/P. I’m also a big fan of synthetic vision.

The G600 is great, I have had it in 2 aircraft now and I really enjoy flying behind it. I have a complete GDU failure in a relatively new unit last week. I’m not sure what the failure rate is like in them but it did concern me that a newish unit with only 10 hours completely failed. I also had a magnetrometer fail in a 210 I had. SVT is great

quote SWORLEY:

Also, does anybody know if installing a co-pilot display unit provides any redundancy? If you do that is it a separate system or the same system with 2 display units? Any experience with GAD43e and interfacing the radio altimeter?

Well I guess if you had a GDU failure it probably would but you never know how it works with Garmin. It’s the same AHARs with 2 displays.

Andrew

Spencer[/quote]

One consideration might be the Aspen. With it you can have true redundancy, all on the pilot’s side.

I installed one in 2009 and have no regrets / no problems. It is a straightforward installation so no particular advice other than to pre-wire the options that you may want in the future ( Ethernet to the nose for GWX radar and datalink / ADS-B, appropriate additional G600 and GPS connections for the datalink of your choice etc.). You may be able to use the existing magnetometer mount and wiring in the tail of the plane; if not I would suggest adding the cable for a new ELT with GPS if you don’t already have it. Since the GAD43E is approved for your King autopilot there should not be any additional issues.

As far as redundancy, dual G500/G600 installations have dual everything and require dual pitot static system ( Andrew, they do have independent AHRS). You are required to have an independent mechanical altimeter, attitude and airspeed with the dual installation. Personally, I would keep those irrespective of regulations.

Attached is a block diagram of the dual installation.

Attachments:

sworley
      Participant
        quote COCHRANE:

I installed one in 2009 and have no regrets / no problems. It is a straightforward installation so no particular advice other than to pre-wire the options that you may want in the future ( Ethernet to the nose for GWX radar and datalink / ADS-B, appropriate additional G600 and GPS connections for the datalink of your choice etc.). You may be able to use the existing magnetometer mount and wiring in the tail of the plane; if not I would suggest adding the cable for a new ELT with GPS if you don’t already have it. Since the GAD43E is approved for your King autopilot there should not be any additional issues.

As far as redundancy, dual G500/G600 installations have dual everything and require dual pitot static system ( Andrew, they do have independent AHRS). You are required to have an independent mechanical altimeter, attitude and airspeed with the dual installation. Personally, I would keep those irrespective of regulations.

Attached is a block diagram of the dual installation.

Thanks for posting that diagram. It looks to me like adding a copilot display doesn’t provide a backup for A/P function. What I can’t tell is if it provides a backup for air data or ahars failures. I won’t be willing to pay much for the copilot side if it doesn’t provide a backup beyond the pilots side standby instruments.

quote SWORLEY:

It looks to me like adding a copilot display doesn’t provide a backup for A/P function. I won’t be willing to pay much for the copilot side if it doesn’t provide a backup beyond the pilots side standby instruments.

If you really want to go with 2 G600s and desire redundant attitude backup you can install both systems with GAD43e adapters, add a switch to select which system provides attitude reference to the autopilot and get it approved under a field approval. That is a pretty simple modification.

quote SWORLEY:

What I can’t tell is if it provides a backup for air data or ahars failures.

It does provide a complete, separate backup to the pilot’s side system except for the attitude information from the GAD43.

I was kicking around the same idea. After talking with many who had done the G500/600 install, none said they had any regrets.

I stopped by the avionics shop today…..no turning back now!

Jim: 😯

sworley
        Participant

That photo is terrifying. 😯 indeed.

holy moly Jim that is gonna be crazy cool!

It did make me gasp! The guy working on it told me that it “looked worse last week”…..huh?

They think it will be back together in a week from today. I am not counting on it but they seemed confident.

The panel is cut and the lower sub panel is refinished. I chose light gray and I think it will look nice. They are refinishing the circuit breaker panel too as it would have looked pretty ratty next to the new. I sent the throttle quad panel off to get it refinished.

A lot of gear was removed.

Feeling your pain, Jim! This was two weeks ago. I’m also installing the G500 with SVT, GTN 750 with all remotes and the S-Tex 55x. As you noted, no turning back now, and I should have the plane back late next week. Trying not to look at this photo too often! Troy

Attachments:

Jim – who is doing your work?

quote khouseholder1:

Jim – who is doing your work?

Tom Hass @ http://www.parkrapidsavionics.com/

I was led here to Tom by customers who had done the similar work. I taled with several Twin Cessna owners with new panels that Tom had done and all were satisfied. The fellow at thier shop assured me that had done it many times before and to relax. I told him that is why I was in their shop.

I talked to a lot of his customers who have G500/600 in a variety of aircraft and all had no regrets with the equipment or the workmanship.

You do need confidence when looking at how invasive this work is.

My plane is back flying. Test flew the new gear this afternoon, one squawk to fix but I am blown away with it. I plan to pick it up Monday.

The new gear is incredible, I had no idea it would be so nice to fly with. But I was fumbling along trying to figure things out as EVERYTHING is different.
          Will be adding some points to the Risk Score till I get used to things. But I will be flying with my instructor next week for a day, that will help me get acclimated.

Before

After looks better lit up 😀

They even refinished the fuel selector quadrant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.