Fine Wire Plugs

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Avionics Topics Fine Wire Plugs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rstanley
    Participant

Good Morning and Happy Post Thanksgiving to All,
      Does anyone use Fine Wire Spark Plugs with their Ram VI engines on the C340A ?
      If so do you find that they make a difference in longevity, leaning ability, fuel consumption or any other issues ?
      Thanks in advance for any help
      Cheers
      Richard

Richard,

I installed fine wire plugs several years ago and have not noticed any benefit. Perhaps they will last longer but there was no improvement in eonomy or performance.

Geoff

rstanley
      Participant

Geoff
        I installed fine wire plugs in my 200hp turbo Twin Comanche and ran the same plugs for 8 years including 2 engine remans and they still were good when I sold it.
        I put them in after the regular plugs fouled while idling on the ground. They were worth every penny on that install.
        Cheers
        RIchard

Champion seems to be having trouble with insulator cracking on the fine wire plugs. http://www.flyplatinum.com/blog/?p=768 I don’t think people have seen issues with the Tempest plug, but there are fewer in the field. I think the Champion issues have been in the last couple of years, so people with older plugs might have excellent service history and those with newer plugs poor results.

Cracked insulators can cause detonation and/or damage the cylinder+ turbo’s via debris.

I think RAM has shown some benefits, TAT has also seem some improvements LOP – but not worth the risk of damage to the engine.

I have been using tempest massive plugs and have been happy with the service life and value.

FYI: My understanding is high plug resistance is bad news for high flying planes and it puts more stress on the harness and magneto’s. (and at high altitude the likelihood of dielectric breakdown increases)

Email Tony and ask him his thoughts.

Andrew

quote avann:

Email Tony and ask him his thoughts.

Andrew

I have a 340 RamVI with fine wire plugs installed with the RAM upgrade 10 years and 1300 hrs ago. They work well but I have no comparison to offer. Mr. Hammermeister at RAM or Tony could give a more complete answer. My own experience with fine wires flying mostly 8000 to 24000 ft has been OK. Glenn Carwell.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.