Cozumel Next Week – APIS?

Home 2024 Forums Opening Section Destinations Cozumel Next Week – APIS?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Planning on heading to Cozumel a week from today. Can our friends south of the border confirm no Mexican APIS yet? My contacts in Cozumel have said so, but I’d rather quadruple check.

And if any of you want to get dinner in Cozumel… 🙂

I also have an empty seat if someone is interested in spending 16 hours in a 310 in 2 days.

Wow… now tempting… I’m less than 3 hours away now… but, because I must be an idiot, I have to fly back to the frozen tundra on Saturday. Have fun!

Jim, you can justify it as a trial run so it all goes smoothly when you take your family in the 340! 😉

Ted, I flew one week ago from Texas to Mexico. Nothing about Mexico APIS.

I filed through FltPlan.com and it was weird they said Mexico APIS was required. I think they want to sell you the product.

The only change was I had to give a list of the passengers names and nationality, pilot name and route on the back mexican flight plan form.

Thanks, Rodolfo. Sounds like all is good for the trip!

sworley
    Participant
      quote TDUPUIS:

Planning on heading to Cozumel a week from today. Can our friends south of the border confirm no Mexican APIS yet? My contacts in Cozumel have said so, but I’d rather quadruple check.

I also have an empty seat if someone is interested in spending 16 hours in a 310 in 2 days.

Ted that is extremely tempting. I wish I could swing it.

I’d enjoy getting to fly with you sometime, Spencer. I often have an open seat so if not this time, perhaps in the future!

sworley
      Participant

Sounds like a plan.

Ted, why not include Puerto Vallarta in your missions? 😀

I will be happy to meet you there.

Rodolfo, I actually had someone eMail me about Queretaro yesterday, although I doubt if it will happen. I like the idea of Puerto Vallarta!

quote TDUPUIS:

Rodolfo, I actually had someone eMail me about Queretaro yesterday, although I doubt if it will happen. I like the idea of Puerto Vallarta!

If you come to Queretaro, let me know and I’ll drag Rodolfo out here. Lunch is on me.

quote agutierrez:

If you come to Queretaro, let me know and I’ll drag Rodolfo out here. Lunch is on me.

Deal! 🙂

This particular trip isn’t happening, but my job has a facility there that I may have to visit. I do hope to visit the area one day.

Since 1st January 2014 a Mexican APIS is mandatory. The problem is that it is very poorly implemented, so to comply, it is unavoidable to buy a commercial solution. Most people don’t comply for the moment, but that is a risk. The potential fine for not complying is said to be USD 5,000 per non-declared passenger.

The only budget friendly solution I have found (I cross the border about 10 times a year) is from Caribbean sky tours – they charge USD 35 per declaration (one way), or USD 25 if you become a member. I also checked fltplan.com, but they charge an annual membership of about USD 500 plus a fee for every plan transmitted. The DGAC is rumored to be working on a US eApis style application that could be available early 2015

So rather than risk the fine, I have contacted Caribbean sky tours, and they have done the filing for me.

Hope this helps?

quote TDUPUIS:

Thanks for the update. The inconsistent enforcement makes sense. I also realized that I forgot to post a recap of the trip, which was now around a month ago.

I did not file Mexican APIS (did file US eAPIS, of course), and did not have any problems. As Rodolfo stated (and my contacts in Cozumel had also stated), it was not yet being enforced.

I’ll make a point of checking again before future trips to Mexico. Seeing as the last time I’d been there was over three years ago, it probably won’t be all that soon in the future.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.